PDA

View Full Version : new to crappie

wagonboss
02-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Hello,
I just registered on this forum and have never fished crappie before. What is the bait used? Thanks.

Lane Reeder

crappster
02-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Minnows and anything artificial that resembles a minnow. Thats the broad answer. 1 to 2 inch tubes.....many colors. Curly tails of all kinds.....1 to 2 inches...many colors. And there are others too. Put the above two on a jig head...usually 1/16 oz to 1/32. I'm sure if everyone puts some info in, we can give you all the info you need to know in about 20 posts.....lol.

CrappiePappy
02-13-2005, 12:53 AM
just keep reading the posts, check out the articles, follow the links on the site and those in posts about "baits used" ... you'll get overwhelmed by the number and diversity of things that can be used to catch Crappie. Alive or artificial ... bagged, bottled, or canned ... "custom made" or commercially produced ... there are literally thousands of different ones to choose from.

Tell us what lakes you fish, or intend to fish, and I'm sure we can get you some ideas to get you started. ..........luck2ya .......cp :cool:

FalconSmitty
02-13-2005, 12:56 AM
about the only thing that I have not caught a crappie on is chicken livers.

ncnat
02-13-2005, 07:35 AM
about the only thing that I have not caught a crappie on is chicken livers.

Have you ever tried chicken livers for crappie? LOL

senkosam
02-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Just about everything shown in the blog, catches crappie. Bass lures work, except medium to small work best much of the time. Crappies go nuts for topwaters, small jerkbaits (suspending and floating minnows), small spinnerbaits with Flashabou, soft stick worms, 3.25" grub-worms (nose hooked; see pic), in-lines, Swedish Pimple spoons, flies (split shot on spinning gear), small cranks, Beetle Spins/ various grub bodies, tubes (1"- 3"), shads and flukes, Tiny Brush Hog (whole or cut down 1/2" and rigged on a 1/16 oz jighead, Spring Grub and Caterpillar worm (Bass Pro), Fat Albert Grub(Zoom), small craws and a slew of other lures. Meal worms and small crawlers work on a 1/32-1/16 oz jighead or slim spoon. I'll try dropshotting small worms in spring.

http://senkosam.blogspot.com/

Sam

DENNIS BOWERS
02-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Welcome Wagon Boss--just Read The Posts Like Said Earlier!!theres Unlimited Knowledge On This Board And Everyones Helpful!! Good Fishin To Ya!!!!dennis

Darryl Morris
02-13-2005, 09:44 AM
Welcome Wagonboss! Good to see more Arkansas boys on the board. Better warn you up front that crappie fishing is very addicting. Once it gets in your blood, there's not turning back. lol You couldn't be in better company though.

Best advice I could give you is what I did when I first started - hire a guide willing to teach and show you firsthand how. Since you are from Arkadelphia and close to Lakes Hamilton or Greeson, either call Jerry Blake - www.actionfishingtrips.com - he was my teacher and now my mentor. Or, give me a call - www.familyfishingtrips.com - and I'll be glad to take you out show ya what's so great about crappie fishing. Jerry guides fulltime and I guide parttime on the same lakes on weekends all the way from Paragould.

Jerry Blake
02-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Hello,
I just registered on this forum and have never fished crappie before. What is the bait used? Thanks.

Lane Reeder

Hey Lane:

Welcome aboard! There are a zillion baits and technigues used to catch crappie. I keep it simple with Rosy Red minnows and Shiners under slip-floats and tightlining hair, tube and solid body jigs.

I'd be glad to show you first hand how and where we catch these just a few miles from where you live - http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/pictures.htm.

olelucky
02-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Welcome friend, I have to agree with Darryl Crappie fishing is very addictive!
Good luck!!!!

Moose1am
02-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the Forums Lane:

You are very lucky to live so close to Jerry and Darryl. Both those guys can show you how to catch crappie in Arkansas.

If you really get into crappie fishing then I would recommend a few things.

Get a copy of the In-Fishermen Book entitled "Crappie Wisdom". That book will give you all the necessary information to fish for Crappie year round in all of North American. And pick up a copy of the magazine "Crappie World" as it's full of good information on crappie fishing.

Crappie fishing can be done from the bank with a cane pole and some hook,sinkers, floats or bobbers and some minnows for bait.

You will most likey catch more crappie on live minnows than on anything else. After all that is the natural food of the crappie. But jigs and artifical baits also will catch crappie.

And lastly this forum has a search feature at the top of the page. You can type in any word and seach though all the posts on this forum for any post that contains that word.

Do a search for "crappie condo" and see what you find. Do another search for "depth sounder" and see what else you will find. Take your time and enjoy the knowledge.

And lastly if you have a specific question give us a shout and I am sure that many will jump in to help you.

blankace
02-13-2005, 06:41 PM
10-4

Ranger375
02-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Welcome aboard wagonboss. As previously stated you'll get to where you see a biatshop and have to stop. The sporting good department at Walmart will get to where if you don't make it in for a couple of days they will send out search party for you....LOL. Seriously crappie fishing as addictive as it is really is a great sport.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-14-2005, 11:49 AM
We will send out a warm welcome Wagon for you ;)