Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on reel line capcity

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on reel line capcity

If a spinning reel is rated to hold 100 yds. of 4 lbs. test, about how many yards of 6 lbs. test will it hold ? Will it still cast far enough if it's only got 50-60 yds. of line on it ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

well, it might hold around 85 yards or so.. what happens when you increase line dia. too much, your casting distance will drop short due to friction of line coming off spool as is gets too low from top of spool.. but only 2#s difference won't be too bad.,.depends on line diameter.. the less line on spinning reels spool, the harder to cast, but yet too much line causes loops as it comes off without any help!! hope it helps..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hpcrappieman
    depends on line diameter
    Yes, if you get a thin 6# line, it might hold 100 yds of that. Most 4# line is about .20 mm in diameter. There are some monos on the market where the 6# is also .20 mm. Check out Spiderwire XXX mono or Tectan. They are both very thin.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 06-04-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    Yes, if you get a thin 6# line, it might hold 100 yds of that. Most 4# line is about .20 mm in diameter. There are some monos on the market where the 6# is also .20 mm. Check out Spiderwire XXX mono or Tectan. They are both very thin.

Someone told me that spiderwire will damage your rod or reel somehow. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like

I think when the Spiderwire braid first came out, it might have damaged some guides. I heard those stories, but don't know if it's true or not.

But I'm talking about the Spiderwire MONO, not the braid. It's very good line. Tectan is also mono.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Spiderwire doesn't do anything to rods and reels heavy mono wouldn't do. It comes down to the quality of your gear. Just remember to set the hook lighter or you will rip the fishes mouth apart.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

give gamakatsu G power line a try if you can find it. The BEST Line I have ever used. I got a LARGE spool from a friend that is sponsored by them and it is really tough, limp and small diameter..007 for the 4 lb. I would imagine its pricey considering most their stuff is but for shooting docks it would be hard to beat.

the 6lb line is .008

http://www.bassnedge.com/products/gamaline.htm
    Last edited by guest01; 06-04-2007 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try filling the spool 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch from the outside edge.