Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing with larger shiners...up to 3 inches

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing with larger shiners...up to 3 inches

Anyone target crappie with bigger shiners in hopes of targeting bigger crappie? I have been able to catch large shiners in several locations here in south georgia and have been able to catch bigger crappie than normal with these guys. I was fishing at a time when I was only going to catch smaller numbers regardless of what I was using, but ended up catching some bigger than normal crappie. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used big shiners in the spring and the hawg slabs tore 'em up. But of course even small crappie have big mouths
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Anyone target crappie with bigger shiners in hopes of targeting bigger crappie? I have been able to catch large shiners in several locations here in south georgia and have been able to catch bigger crappie than normal with these guys. I was fishing at a time when I was only going to catch smaller numbers regardless of what I was using, but ended up catching some bigger than normal crappie. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?
    I seem to have more luck with the smaller shiners in the winter. Seem the fish slow down a bit and I guess a smaller shiner doesn't appear to be much work to wolf down. In the summer I'll go with mid size to large shiners if I use them at all.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

have not fishe dmuch with large shinners for crappie. I alwyas use toughies. Did use rosie reds this weekend for the first time. DIdn't seems to make a big difference, but the fish were not very active.

I would think the bigger shinners would work well. Some of the shad I have seen them caugh up are huge.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association