Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Can anyone give me the proper instructions for putting line on a open face reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can anyone give me the proper instructions for putting line on a open face reel?

I know Ive seen instructions somewhere before on how to do it properly but I cant remember where...

I want to put some new #10 line on my new rod/reel and I dont want it curling up on me when you cast. (you know, how it snakes around the end of the pole sometimes)

Any help or links would be apprecitated.

Thanks all!:D

Post Thanks / Like

What I do is lay the spool of line on the floor and run it thrugh the eyes, tie it on the reel and reel about 3 or 4 turnes and if it twist turn the spool over and reel more on but if all else fails let all your line of like trolling without a lure or hook or anything on and it will get it on the spool right. The line should go on the reel like it on the spool, like for a baitcaster put a pencil threw the holes and have soseone hold it but not that way on a spinning reel.Good Luck....Dennis
    Last edited by DENNIS WILLIS; 06-02-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I turn the spool so the line comes off counter clockwise

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always done it like Dennis said plus be sure to keep tension on the line while spooling.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes with label up on spool while filling is backwards also... best way I have done it for years and years is to put spool in lake or large bucket of water or swimming spool and submerse spool and start reeling, reel fast so spool stays vertical, this puts plenty of pressure on line and also lubes it while going on, fill spool to about 1/8 " from top lip of reel spool...this way, no matter how the line was installed on factory spool, it goes on good!! Works great for me anyway!! and if spool starts to lay horizontal in water,just take rod tip and push it back down!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Partner & a pencil/bobber has always worked well for me. Never tried the bucket of water trick though, sounds interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you are loading a spinning reel. I stand behind my reel as if fishing, hold the spool in front of the reel and uncoil a few rounds off the spool. Then turn the handle of your reel and notice if the bail is turning the same direction as the line was coming off the spool. If so, you are ready to tie on and lay the spool on the floor. I spray Reel Majic on the spool before loading. It keeps tangles out and lays smooth. When the line is loaded, if I have a tangle, I will tie a snap swivel on the end of the line and attach it to an object and begin walking backward as far as I can without getting run over. Once you play out as much line as you want to, hold your rod high and begin reeling toward the snap swivel. Keep some tension on as you reel. It will take the kinks and swirls out.

Post Thanks / Like

i assume a fresh spool of line is spooled straight on the spool at the factory and not coiled on it. so when i put new line on a spinning reel i spool it straight on with a screwdriver holding the spool so it can spin. let the line come off the bottom of the spool. after about ten turns or so of the reel, let the line go limp and if it twists, turn the spool over so the line comes off the top. it should be ok then. if its still twisted, you can untwist it by letting all the line off the boat with nothing on the line, and pull it a bit with the line draggin in the water behind the boat.. the drag of the water will untwist it., or if you got a big grassy yard, you can pull the line off the reel with nothing on the end of it , and wind it back on the reel, holding the rod tip low to the grass and it should untwist it to. if you have a fish on and the drag is slipping, dont wind the reel while the drag is slipping. that will twist the heck out of it. instead pump and reel.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...