Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My good luck fishing story:)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up My good luck fishing story:)

This year, I have rediscovered my love for fishing. I am 31 years old, and haven't fished much since my childhood. Up until recently, I went maybe 3-4 times every few years. Fishing has brought my father and son closer to me, gave I and my wonderful wife one more hobby to share, and taught me to relax again- something I find hard to do with a job that takes up 50-70 hours of my week.
    My only complaint is that I realized my fishing was limited from the bank, and shortly after getting a deal on an old jon boat I discovered that a big man isn't very stable in that type of arrangement. I was nervous even getting into it, much less taking it across the lake. I grudgingly accepted the fact that I wouldn't be able to access brush piles for those beautiful crappie I see you folks getting, or take my precious children to a cove at daybreak to try and bring in some largemouth. I simply don't have the funds to go buy a Ranger, or some fancy pontoon setup. Man- I was bumming big time. Until 2 days ago that is
    I was talking to the president of our conservation club, a very nice man in his eighties who loves to chase bluegill but doesn't get around much anymore. In passing, he asked if I knew anyone who wanted to buy a bass boat. I told him that I would talk to a friend of mine, who is pretty well off and seems to buy new toys every week or so. He took me to go see this mystery boat, so I could pass the word along. It just so happens that this boat was an older model that had been well cared for- it is a 1978 16' Bass Tracker, with a 35 pound thrust foot controlled troller, 35 HP Johnson, two livewells with new pumps, dual winch/anchor setups, two hi rise pedestal seats, and a brand new Hummingbird fish finder, all on a sturdy old trailer. I was in love!!! With starry eyes, I let him know I would pass the word along, and he said the UNBELIEVABLE. "Tell that fella I need $1,000.00 for the whole thing." My prayers had been answered- I immediately handed him 850.00, got a bill of sale, and told him I'd drop off the rest to him next week. He even offered to let me take it now, and just pick up the titles when I dropped the rest of the money off. I politely declined to take it until it was paid for, but I drove home in a daze. MY OWN FISHING BOAT! I can hang out all day with my family chasing gills, crappie, bass, whatever we desire Sometimes dreams do come true....okay I am done gushing now....

Post Thanks / Like

YEAH!! That is great! Don't forget to offer to take him out in it, oh that was 'mom mode kicking in'.
    Gush away!
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Great story and even better luck on your part! Congrats and much luck catching some fish.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing that story. It was a good one for sure!
    I hope you, your wife and your children absolutely wear that boat out enjoying it.
    Please shoot us some pictures when you can!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! You'll be able to make tones of memories with your family from that boat, and can catch just as many fish from it as someone fishing from a bigger rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Fewer things make me smile more than coming across a good deal on a boat. I got mine for a steal, and you just put me to shame!
    Now make the story complete & fill both of those live wells.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome story i'm glad you got the boat and it sounds like a nice set up...if you ever make it down to loz give me a yell and i'll take ya'll out and set you up on some nice brushpiles.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Buffy is right! Anytime you can, offer to take the guy out with you. I'd bet a dime to a dollar that he no longer trusted himself to be safe on the water by himself. My first boat was from a similar situation, older man with Parkinsons, 14' aluminum V with a 9.9 evinrude. I took that old coot with me alot whenever the weather permitted. His wife no longer worried about him going out as she knew he was with someone who would be there in case of an emergency. I know that it would break my heart if I outlived my ability to be able to go fishing on my own. It's important that we all be there for those who love to fish, but can no longer do so on their own without comprimising their safety.
    Sounds like you got a decent deal on the rig. I have a friend who did some work for another elderly couple. That guy asked if he wanted a boat. It was a 16', '83 Tracker with an '84 model 60hp Evinrude on it. Also included was a 33# Motor Guide TM with a Hummingbird LC 4,000. The boat is in serious disrepair, all plywood decks rotted, some interior aluminum storage walls drilled out. All parts present, and he gave it to my friend just asking him to haul it off. My friend fishes, but nothing more than an occasional trip to the edge of a pond. Everything on the boat works. He told me that he was going to sell it. I asked him what he was going to ask for it, he said $500 so he could get his guns out of the pawn shop. I told him I would take it and be back friday with the money. I'll post pics of the restoration process. I plan to do a complete overhaul of my 15.5' fiberglass bass boat and stick all the goodies from the tracker onto it. I'll them take my more modern goodies and stick them on the Tracker. It will be a complete customized makeover of the Tracker. I have the Aluminum sheeting, the rivets and the tools to do anything I want. I do know that I need to build a livewell for the front end. I am also considering converting the thing into a center console.
    Sorry 'bout ramblin on, just another story about a heck of a deal. Enjoy your gift and share it with others, you'll be blessed for it.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 06-03-2007 at 06:47 AM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy
    YEAH!! That is great! Don't forget to offer to take him out in it, oh that was 'mom mode kicking in'.
    Gush away!
    Thats awesome advise. Do you think that guys knows the lake?? uh huh!! Pick his brains.

Congrats on the boat. Noting like running across a great fella like that who isn't greedy, because that boat is worth a lot more than that for sure. Good fishing. :D How bout a pic?
    Good things come to those who bait.