Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cattaraugus Creek Cats

smokescreek Guest

Default Cattaraugus Creek Cats

I just found this site and want to say hello first.
    I was fishing in Cattaraugus Creek (Sunset Bay area about 40 minutes out of Buffalo). I caught a 14lb'er and a 13 1/2 lb'er using night crawlers on the bottom (Monday afternoon). To some of you that may not be impressive, but I've been fishing the Catt. for years and those were the two biggest fish I've pulled out of there to date.
    I'm just wondering if any other members have experience fishing Catt. Creek for catfish and if so what tips/techniques have you to offer?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Cattaraugus Creek

Welcome to Crappie.Com Smokescreek, We are happy to have you aboard. Nice catch ! Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard. I agree, nice catch. I've never caught a cat anywhere close to that! wow

I'd really like to see pics of those if it's not too much of a problem.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

SunsetFishing Guest

Default Cattaraugus Catfish

Smokescreek. I have a cottage at Sunset Bay and have fished the mouth for well over 10 years. The catfishing there and at the mouth of 18 mile creek (erie) is fantastic. I very rarely fish creekside at the Sunset breakwall, but when I do decide to go for catfish I always go at night. I lob a nightcrawler on a size 2 baitholder with a flat slip weight (to let the line through but flat enough so the current doesn't roll the sinker) and check it every 15 minutes or so. Sometimes the catfish just inhale and sit so you don't know when you've got one. Great fight, but you know that based on the size of the fish you hooked into. I have also heard that fresh shrimp...large ones...work well. Salt water bait in freshwater? We'll see. I've even thrown capicola at catfish, so I guess shrimp isn't that nuts.

I caught a catfish the size of my leg at the mouth a few years ago. Great time, but the night fishing (bugs) can be a pain.

Good luck out there.

SunsetFishing Guest

Default One more thing

The NYS catfish record, I believe, has been broken twice in the past couple years. The fish are getting bigger.

I read in a local newspaper article that the second biggest catfish caught in NYS (the one that broke the record in 2003 I think) was caught at the mouth of 18 mile creek (daytime fishing in a boat). When the guy that broke the record pulled it out of the water, his girlfriend, who I'm guessing was blonde, asked the him if it was a seal.

Lake Erie Seal. Unbelievable.