Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil question???????????????

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil question???????????????

I just purchased a new Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke. What kind of oil should I use? I got 2 different answers from 2 different local dealers.

What's the difference between marine 10w 30w and Nascar 10w 30w? They are both 30 weight oil with 10 weight viscosity are they not? Very confusing. What about using synthetic oil in the new motor?

Input if you please.

Thanks

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

go to this site and ask the dactor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    retired and now i will always fish

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I am no expert in oil but I can tell you that in the term 10w 30, the w stands for winter. Meaning in the winter time the oil will flow like 10 weight oil and in the summer 30 weight. I have been following reports about synthetic oils and the only bad reports come from people putting it in high mileage vehicles. It loosens up sludge and causes oil leaks and in bad cases can clog the oil intake screen. In newer vehicles it is a far superior oil. In outboards (2 cycle) it burns cleaner with less smoke. As far as 4 stroke outboards I can only assume that it would be good for them but since I don't have a 4 stroke OB I haven't been following that much. Your owners manual mention it?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone I have talked to said to don't use synthetic oil until your rings have seated good. In a truck most don't recommend until around 20000 miles. Just passing on what I have heard several say

Signed
    Holiday Inn Express customer:p

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess the only difference might be the additives - just guessing.
    Possibly a different mix of detergents and such to better suit the conditions?

I'm with 3's on waiting till it's well broken in... can't prove it, but that's
    been the superstition/wisdom??? in several different motor hobbies I've
    been in and I'd be skeered to challenge it.

After that tho, I fed my ole Honda 50 a steady diet of Mobil 1 full syn, it is on it's second owner after me and still going far as I've heard. I bet not many weekend guys had that many hours on a motor - I'd crank it backing off the trailer, and cut it off when I loaded up :D all day long, most of it idling against a trolling plate.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

The guy I bought my boat from said any good 10w 30w will be fine and I ask about Synthetic and he said yes that is fine too. So I plan on using Mobil 1.

After what I read above maybe I will use a regular high grade oil for the first change after break in, LOL!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

if it's a 4 stroke, either the full synthetic or synthetic blend will do the job. If it's a 2 stroke, I'm not much help. I have used 4 stroke engines for the past two years and mfgr. recommends synthetic blend 20w40. I think I would check with Suzuki for recommendations. Marine synthetics and synthetic blends are not the same as automotive oils, not to say that automitive blends won't take care of your engine, but the marine oils have additives that will do a better job of protecting your outboard. Corrosion being one of them.
    Last edited by willsjwills; 05-31-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

the 10W30 reg oil you put in your car works just as good as marine oil, I would get name brand and stick to it, i use Quaker State just personal preference

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I just purchased a new Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke. What kind of oil should I use? I got 2 different answers from 2 different local dealers.

What's the difference between marine 10w 30w and Nascar 10w 30w? They are both 30 weight oil with 10 weight viscosity are they not? Very confusing. What about using synthetic oil in the new motor?

Input if you please.

Thanks

Tom
    Tom, since you have a brand new motor and being the young man you are, which means you'll have this thing for many years to come, why not synthetic? You'll only be changing the crankcase oil once a year, so why not spend about 3-4 extra dollars? You will get great life from the motor, and you'll be protecting your investment at the same time. IF I had your money and had a nice pretty, shiny outboard, that is what I would do. Just my .02 cents worth. Carl
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This motor came from the dealer with no "how to" books. On the invoice was hand written: "add 1 quart of 20w 50 marine grade oil before cranking". This is from a Suzuki dealer! He did not specify a brand.

Dotties Marine said use 10w 30 Quicksilver marine.
    Union City said use Suzuki marine oil.

Internet purchase. Free shipping, no tax. I guess a booklet would have been an option. I got the warranty papers though.

Suzuki web page didn't tell me crap.

What a revolting predicament this is. haha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast