Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How do you set up your polls for trolling ????

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you set up your polls for trolling ????

I need to know how you folks set up your poles for trolling? What is the purpose of the wieght tied at the bottom?

I set my poles like said on the spider rigging article I read and I just
    dont see the need for the wieght on the bottom?

What would be wrong with just 2 jigs spaced about a foot apart or 2 hooks for minows?

Any info would be apreciated

Coony

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coony278
    I need to know how you folks set up your poles for trolling? What is the purpose of the wieght tied at the bottom?

I set my poles like said on the spider rigging article I read and I just
    dont see the need for the wieght on the bottom?

What would be wrong with just 2 jigs spaced about a foot apart or 2 hooks for minows?

Any info would be apreciated

Coony
    Not a thing wrong with it. I've been doing it that way for years. I have experimented with weights on the bottom (tight lining) but I like my way better so far.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The weight helps keep the line vertical for better depth control. You can also troll faster and prevent the bait(s) from rising to the surface.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Red face reason for weights on bottom

When pushing with a kentucky rig, (= 1 or 2 hooks with minnows, jigs, or both and a weight on bottom ), I use 1/2 , 3/4, or 1 oz. weight to keep a vertical tight line when moving slowly with trolling motor, because of wind, fast current, and to help reduce break-offs due to hank-ups. I can usually lift the rod tip - then drop it suddenly, and the weight will pull the hook or jig loose when hung up. Works 75% of the time, saves time and tackle.

When turning, starting movement, speeding up between spots, etc. , the weight will keep your line out of the trolling motor as well.

You can also bottom bounce a kentucky rig, which sometimes has the best results.. How does it work ? Let the rig go to the bottom, reel in slack, slowly lift and lower the sinker to touch bottom, lift about a foot, pause for a few seconds and repeat. The sinker bumping bottom, rocks, stumps, etc. adds movement to your offering, makes a little noise, stirs up a little sediment, etc. ,and gets a crappie's attention- sometimes. Crappie are sight feeders and it helps to get their attention, and sometimes this method will outfish all other ways. Just another method to add to your bag of tricks...

I know a lot of anglers that use this method and do quite well, including myself on occasion. I especially like it when fishing deep brushpiles with only one or two rods in hand.
    Take a Kid fishing, keep only enough to eat, and release the rest to spawn again. Pop

Post Thanks / Like

If your gonna be fishing close to the bottom, the weight on the bottom will keep you from hanging much better than having the jig on the bottom. Most of the time for me the crappie are off the bottom and I fish the mid range depth of whatever depth of water I'm fishing. jig goes on the bottom in those situations. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion