Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What type hook to use?

lswoody Guest

Default What type hook to use?

What is the best hook type to use for trolling for crappie? Thanks!!!!! Good fishin, lswoody

whiplash Guest

Default hooks

Quote Originally Posted by lswoody
    What is the best hook type to use for trolling for crappie? Thanks!!!!! Good fishin, lswoody
    I use #2elw hooks for all my minnow fishing :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default it could be to sharp, if there is such a thing

As far as brand of hook. You would be hard pressed to find a sharper hook than GAMAKATSU
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

We use a !/0 Or 2/0 abeerden thin wire gold hook wirh a small split shot and slip float, sometimes with a spinner also, The thin wire will pull loose from hangups BBeaux

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb I ain't much on trolling ....

but - if I were going to be "drifting", or slow "trolling" (bumping the trolling motor every now & then to keep moving) ... I'd use the same hook I use when tightlining or slip float fishing (as in "still fishing"). That would be a #1 Eagle Claw Aberdeen light wire bronze hook.
    BUT, if I were "trolling" under constant power from trolling motor or big motor (or even a kicker motor) ... I'd probably use a jighead. The reason being - if I'm moving the boat faster than the minnow can swim, and the minnow is on a regular hook/sinker type rig ... they could have a tendancy to "spin" or lay on their sides, and not look "natural". With the jighead hook run from the bottom of the minnow's "throat" and up between it's "nostrils" ... the minnow and hook point are both in an "upright" position. This is more natural looking, hangs up a little less often, and will most often hook the Crappie in the roof of the mouth (where it's more likely to "stay hooked", than if it's in the mouth membrane or bottom or sides of the mouth).
    But, I don't do that much trolling ... so there may be some "flaws" in my thinking. .........luck2ya ........cp

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

1/16 jighead or roadrunner head

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson