Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truck Problems

I have a 1996 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. It's a 5 speed 4.3 Vortec. I keep having this reoccurring problem of it not wanting to start after a heavy rain. I've changed the distributor cap one time while it wouldn't start and it didn't help. I've replaced the ignition module in the distributor and that didn't help. Everything appears dry and I can smell the fuel. It usually has to clear itself out after it does start. It did it one time parked under the carport after a heavy rain.
    It rained last night and it wouldn't start as I was getting ready to go to work. Cost me a days pay. It's really starting to aggravate me!
    I was hoping someone may have had a similar problem in the past and could offer some advice.

Thanks
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Wait till it dries out and get a Ford. :p

Post Thanks / Like

could be EGR solenoid valve. About a $250.00 item, but easy to check. Had a 1992 s-10 2.8 with same problem. Rain had nothing to do with it, though. The valve body was carboned up and would not work. My sister has a 4.3 that they spray WD 40 in occasionally to keep it working right.

Post Thanks / Like

The bushing and seal on the distributor's rotating shaft may have failed. Crankcase vapor that has a lot of moisture and oil may be getting into the distributor from there.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

My BIL's S-10 with 4.3L behaved like that. We found the problem by spraying around with a spray bottle, can't remember if it was his crankshaft sensor or cam sensor but as soon as we sprayed it the motor died.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishnLine
    :D Yep that will fix it!:D
    JESUS CHRIST AND AMERICAN G.I.'s ARE THE ONLY TWO DEFINING FORCES THAT
    EVER COULD OR DID DIE FOR YOU. ONE DIED FOR YOUR SOUL; AND THE OTHER
    FOR YOUR FREEDOM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reelcrappiefisher
    :D Yep that will fix it!:D

Yall must have misunderstood :rolleyes: . He needs something he DOESNT have to push :D .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I like your tip LazyJ about the spray bottle. I'll sure give it a try. This only happens when it is raining or damp. I appreciate all the chevy jokes and I 'm sure I'll laugh a little more when I figure this annoying problem out.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    I have a 1996 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. It's a 5 speed 4.3 Vortec. I keep having this reoccurring problem of it not wanting to start after a heavy rain. I've changed the distributor cap one time while it wouldn't start and it didn't help. I've replaced the ignition module in the distributor and that didn't help. Everything appears dry and I can smell the fuel. It usually has to clear itself out after it does start. It did it one time parked under the carport after a heavy rain.
    It rained last night and it wouldn't start as I was getting ready to go to work. Cost me a days pay. It's really starting to aggravate me!
    I was hoping someone may have had a similar problem in the past and could offer some advice.

Thanks
    We have had a lot of problems with coil wires on those. Try that first and possible coil also. It would help if you had a spark tester ... it makes it much easier to isolate problem. You may be able to see the spark arking down the side of the coil tower if that is the problem. Your gm dealer will sell the coil wire seperately...that is the cheapest and easiest thing to try.

I have been agm mechanic for 30 years and will talk to you about the problem off line if you would like.
    Hope that helps
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishnLine
    Chevy's will only break down in the driveway, Ford will leave you on the side of the road dead. hee hee :D
    on the road again...just can't wait to get back to...TOLEDO BEND

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast