Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing season

ELCID1964 Guest

Unhappy Fishing season

Hello everyone, I am a new member to this group and have a question which I hope some of you can help me out with. I am planning a fishing trip to North Central Missouri, the areas around Cameron, Chillicothe and Marshall. I am primarily interested in fishing for Crappie and Large Mouth Bass and presently plan to start the trip on April 1st and be in those areas for about two to three weeks. The problem is that I am not familiar as to when the fish are active in those areas, I may be getting there way too early and miss the action. I am also not sure as to what to expect weatherwise. The lakes I plan to visit are small ones such as the Pershing wildlife area, Swan Lake and the Cameron Municipal Ponds. Any information you all can give me will be much appreciated, thank you. Alex.

Post Thanks / Like

Alex, You should be there at the right time,anytime in apr is prime spawning time here in central mo.I am not familiar with any of the lakes you mentioned but hazel creek lake is close by it is just outside of kirksville on hwy 63 and i hear it has huge black crappie, might be worth a try. As for the weather your guess is as good as mine it is usually fairly warm with rain. GOOD LUCK!!
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

You might check the MDC website, they will have a list of the wildlife areas.

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

The weather can change-be prepared for rain.Pony Express has stunted crappie but decent bass.Any of the old city resevoirs can be good,but its hit or miss.White bass should be spawning in Smithville lake and the crappie is excellent if you find them,I think its a little too early for them to be spawning.Not sure about black bass,don't fool with them.
    There is a small catch and release area just south of cameron on 33 that fun.

Good luck and don't forget about catfish.They will be putting on the feedbag about then.Catch a few 20-30 pounders and you might forget about bass!

Post Thanks / Like

Early for most spawning of crappie, but fish prespawn locations and should do ok, but move it back three weeks for better action. Keep in mind the weather often plays a key role in turning fish off and on that early. Pony Express still may be closed for fishing, something about MDC construction last summer. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce-thats a new one on me.I'll check it out.

Smithville thawed out Sat.,Got a 20# blue and lotsa channels today(Mon)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID1964
    Hello everyone, I am a new member to this group and have a question which I hope some of you can help me out with. I am planning a fishing trip to North Central Missouri, the areas around Cameron, Chillicothe and Marshall. I am primarily interested in fishing for Crappie and Large Mouth Bass and presently plan to start the trip on April 1st and be in those areas for about two to three weeks. The problem is that I am not familiar as to when the fish are active in those areas, I may be getting there way too early and miss the action. I am also not sure as to what to expect weatherwise. The lakes I plan to visit are small ones such as the Pershing wildlife area, Swan Lake and the Cameron Municipal Ponds. Any information you all can give me will be much appreciated, thank you. Alex.
    You might try going to www.anglersfishinginfo.com you can get weekly fishing reports on alot of differant lakes around the whole state of missouri.

Post Thanks / Like

My fault, Blind Pony was the one under construction. It was a better lake than Express. Got confused with my horses or pony's!! site is a good place to check but not a lot of details.

ELCID1964 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bugman
    Alex, You should be there at the right time,anytime in apr is prime spawning time here in central mo.I am not familiar with any of the lakes you mentioned but hazel creek lake is close by it is just outside of kirksville on hwy 63 and i hear it has huge black crappie, might be worth a try. As for the weather your guess is as good as mine it is usually fairly warm with rain. GOOD LUCK!!
    I can't find Hazel Creek Lake on the map. Is this North or South of town? Thank you for your repply.

Thanks to all who repplied, I appreciate your comments. The First Seargent seems to want to spend time visiting her family before we go fishing so I will probably be doing my fishing after the third week in April. Sounds like that may just be the right time to be at the lakes.