Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Give Away

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine Give Away

I have a 1962 18hp Johnson electric/rope start engine to give to someone who needs a "beginer" engine. It runs. It needs some carb work, as it doesn't idle good in gear. Runs fine. I even got spare shear pins for it. ha

This will be given to a needy person with a boat and not to someone for resale or profit. Whoever needs it will have to pick it up. I will not ship or deliver it to you.

Let me know.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default carb?

Do you know what exactly needs to be done to the carb? or do you think it would be easier to just replace it. jw...i have a 1959 evinrude that i cannot keep running on open water for more than five seconds. I can get it to run at home in a barrel. just no luck on water..
    brushpiles and logs, one rod, one bobber, it's jig poppin time:D

Post Thanks / Like

Slabmaster,

Your exhaust mainfold may be clogged up. Does it bog way down on the water when you put a load on the engine?

Post Thanks / Like

It will run not in gear if i hold the throttle. after about five minutes of doing that it will idle by itself. As soon as i kick it in gear i can go for about five seconds, it bogs down then shuts off....then it is a pain to get it started again. Atfirst the original gas can was one of those old metal ones and was real dirty. So i bought a new plastic one and put on an external fuel filter. It seems to help because i used to get dirt in the bulb. But i still cannot maintain it running.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cane Pole, I thyink what you are doing is a very noble thing to do. I know there should be someone out there that needs a beginner engine. GOD bless you.

Post Thanks / Like

Slab,

It's fairly easy to take the exhaust manifold cover off and check for blockage. I would try that first.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sha

thanks, i will give that a look here in the next few days then, hopefully i will not have to consider getting a different motor...i am not looking for anything real big anyways..i will let you know what i find out!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we were closer. My young neighbor just lost his lower unit. Water got into it and cracked the houseing. The first time out with no lube in it, it wiped out all the gears and with the cracked houseing, it's not worth fixing.

I've trying to help him locate a used lower unit, but no luck. His is a 1986, 18 hp... So much for younger people.

Could it be strapped to a pallet.

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I have a 1962 18hp Johnson electric/rope start engine to give to someone who needs a "beginer" engine. It runs. It needs some carb work, as it doesn't idle good in gear. Runs fine. I even got spare shear pins for it. ha

This will be given to a needy person with a boat and not to someone for resale or profit. Whoever needs it will have to pick it up. I will not ship or deliver it to you.

Let me know.

Tom
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gcromer
    I wish we were closer. My young neighbor just lost his lower unit. Water got into it and cracked the houseing. The first time out with no lube in it, it wiped out all the gears and with the cracked houseing, it's not worth fixing.

I've trying to help him locate a used lower unit, but no luck. His is a 1986, 18 hp... So much for younger people.

Could it be strapped to a pallet.

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Sorry Gerald, I forgot to post that I have already given it to a needy member here on Crappie.Com.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tom do you have any idea where i could get a coil for a 62 18hp evinrude?....that was a very good thing you done...good man.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast