Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finishing Knot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finishing Knot

I'm having a little trouble tying a finishing knot. I don't have a tool yet, will probably order one. But, I would like to know how you guys finish by hand. Also if you have any links that might show em, id appreciate it.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Species
    I'm having a little trouble tying a finishing knot. I don't have a tool yet, will probably order one. But, I would like to know how you guys finish by hand. Also if you have any links that might show em, id appreciate it.
    I assume you mean for jig/fly tying?
    There's the standard half hitch(needs to be glued to hold, can come apart easy...don't like it) and there's the whip finish. For personal use, I don't cement/glue thread on my jigs just to see how they hold up. I haven't had one fall apart on me yet. A tool helps, but when dealing with large flies or in some situations you can't use a tool, and whip finishing by hand is easier and quicker. Here's a link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-WqowBsrBY

No book I've ever read has been able to teach you that. Even with a tool with pictures, it's hard to learn, but once you do it once, you've got it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, sorry for Jig tying. I have been watching that video for the past hour, for some reason, it just 'aint clicking. I think I pretty much have my own way down pat. But, it doesn't work for thicker diameter stuff. I think my biggest problem is getting Chenille to knot up....

Oh yea, incase you didn't know, I'm knew to this :o
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Try looking at the Rod Guild's website. There is a trick we use to finish a wrap. It might work for jig finishing. Hope it helps.
    http://www.rodguild.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Try doing it while you're watching it, if you're not. It'll take a while of fooling with it but you'll get it! Keep trying.
    I may try to do a video for you in a minute, but it's just a digital camera and an old one at that, and I have no way to hold it while doing it. If I figure something out I'll be sure to post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Species
    But, it doesn't work for thicker diameter stuff. I think my biggest problem is getting Chenille to knot up....
    You're not trying to do a half hitch/whip finish with chenille, are you? You just need to wrap the thread around the chenille to secure it. Then, do a half hitch or whip finish with the thread, not the chenille.

You might want to pick up this DVD from Bass Pro. Lefty Kreh gives a great demo on how to do a whip finish.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...006000_175-6-1
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 05-29-2007 at 08:42 AM.