Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling crankbaits with gas motor question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling crankbaits with gas motor question.

This is my first year trolling crankbaits so I'm still learning. My question is as to whether or not trolling with your gas motor will spook the fish. Today I used my trolling motor until it was too weak then I switched to my gas motor. After the switch I hardly got any bites. I was trying to work the channel but kept drifting onto the flats (windy day) which are only 14' deep. I was pulling a Bandit 300 series (I also was pulling 100 and 200 series) with 50' of line out which should take it down to around 11.5' so I can't really afford to put out anymore line. I was considering getting another battery for backup. (I'm using a 12v motor) Any thoughts?

While I'm at it, another question. I really wanted to work the channel but since it was a windy day I ended up on the flats a lot. I trolled from one end of the lake to the other. (small lake, around 1500 acres) Should I focus on one area trolling in some type of pattern to cover all of it or should I just continue to work the whole lake?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I think the question about the gas motor spooking fish is a good one. I have been looking into buying planer boards as a possible solution. I may invest in another trolling battery as another possible solution.
    I have not started trolling cranks yet this year but plan to resume trolling soon.
    So far, I have had my best luck trolling creek channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Cranks

I catch most all my crappie 13-16 ft. deep in water from 13 ft to maybe 25ft. I run a LOT of line out on my cranks just to avoid that problem. Any where from 150-200ft. not trying to gain additional depth, just trying to get as far away as possible from motor noise,disturbance etc. as possible. I troll cranks with a Yamaha 8hp. Works for me. possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

I think that a small HP kicker is the answer. Dont try to troll with a big HP motor, my ex father-in-law used a 4 HP johnson to troll and it never bothered the fish one bit.
    Gilby aka Bill :D

Post Thanks / Like

I use my 115 four stroke all the time and do not see any difference as long as you keep the speed the same. I'm sure really clear water would make a difference but were I fish thats not a problem.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -

Post Thanks / Like

When trolling crankbaits I always use my big motor -60 hp yamaha trimmed up with two five gallon buckets with holes in the middle behind me to slow me down. Caught several limits in this way last few years at Sardis. I would like to buy a kicker motor to use but I don't think the big motor scares fish. I always let out plenty of line 175 feet +. I believe speed 1.8-2.2 is the important thing. Just my thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big W
    When trolling crankbaits I always use my big motor -60 hp yamaha trimmed up with two five gallon buckets with holes in the middle behind me to slow me down. Caught several limits in this way last few years at Sardis. I would like to buy a kicker motor to use but I don't think the big motor scares fish. I always let out plenty of line 175 feet +. I believe speed 1.8-2.2 is the important thing. Just my thoughts.
    I was afraid that a speed of 1.8-2.2 would be too fast. I was going 1.3-1.5, perhaps I was going too slow? Once again, I'm learning so I'm definitely open to advice.

FYI: I'm using my 9.9ob so definitely not a big noisy motor.

As far as letting out 175' of line, I like the action of the 300 series Bandits but if I let out 175' of line that would take them down to around 18.5' according to my Precesion Angling chart. They would obviously run across the bottom when I drifted out of the channel. (flats are mostly 14'-lake is down 5') Is this the depth you were catching them at? Was it during summer? I figured that since the waters only in the upper 70's that they wouldn't be that deep. I tend to catch most my crappie aound 10' deep in the summer. I could switch to the 100 series which has a max depth of 11.5' but not as much action. The 200 series has a max depth of around 14.5'. (once again according to Precision Angling's charts)

Is 50' of line out not enough?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you've got a lot of good answers already - only .02 I might
    add is that to me, it depends a lot on how deep the water is, and
    how much time you are spending in one area.

For example, making one LONG pass in 25' of water, I don't think it bothers
    them much, even if you aren't running your baits very deep.

but if you are making multiple passes, back and forth in a small area,
    esp. in say, less than 15' of water, I've seen it either scatter them, or
    make them clam up. Same brush top in 12' of water, have crossed it
    again and again with the electric and caught a limit off one spot
    (at times :D )

I was running a 50, now a 90, so I'm making a good bit of racket.
    Planer boards do help a LOT.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hate to get all Joe scientist on you here but...

Water and sound don't mix well. Because water is extremely dense compared to air, sound travels 5 times faster under water and 10 times louder. Screaming on your boat has little effect on fish but the sound of something being dropped in the boat or in the water has a dramatic affect. Same goes for a gas engine. And is why many people crawl on their hands and knees to native trout streams.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

I have only pulled crankbaits during the summer in the past. The fish seem to be in deeper water then and thats where I fish -16ft deep or deeper. Sometimes if I'm going too fast I bump the bottom in 15 or 16 feet of water and I'll slow down a little. Sometimes speed changes really help- if I turn a little sharper than usual I can pick some up on the slower(inside of turn) or the outside bait which digs a little more during the turn. Read J White's article in tips and techniques here in crappie.com. It will help and he's the one "in the know". I think it is a great article! Every lake is different and the only water I've really tried this in is Sardis and it works for me and my buddies a lot of days. Practice makes perfect and I can't seem to get enough practice! By the way all I use is 300 Bandits- pick a color - if they don't hit a particular color after a while I'll change to something they are biting on another pole.
    Last edited by Big W; 05-29-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast