Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on my Son

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on my Son

Well this is Post OP day 5 after his colostomy reversal and it has not been easy. He had a really bad time with gas and this was the first day he even felt like talking so he called this AM. He thought by this time he would be out of the hospital and preparing to go home to Tenn. for a month before returning for some nerve test to see where his trouble is that has his left foot unmovable.

They cut out the scare tissue from the exploratory surgery he had while still in Iraq and left open where his colostomy was until yesterday. The really odd thing was they found bone growing in the old scar which was the first time his doctors had ever seen this. I still can't understand how bone can grow inside skin scar tissue??? I think his doctors are wondering the same thing.

It is pretty certain now that he will not be back to 100% by a long shot and will not be going back to his unit. It's a sad thought for me that he will be disabled like me and I know how it is to have these physical problems at or near his age since my back surgery that left me like this I was 41 and he is 38. I hope they can improve his nerve trouble at some point after they do the test to find how where the trouble stems from. It's hard to need someone else to do some of the things you have always done for your self and I guess the hardest part is seeing your wife have to do the heavy lifting, I know it is for me. I do still remember being able to pretty much pick up anything I wanted to.

He is still in good spirits though and has a good attitude. I have hope that it can improve from here, but it will take some kind of miracle for his left leg and foot to start working like it should.

Thanks for you support and prayers,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I send your son prayers and a great deal of gratitude.

It's good his spirits are up and he has a good attitude. That's very important to the healing process Skip.

Never herd of bone growing in scar tissue although I've herd of bone in scar tissue that has calcified.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

my family's prayers go out to you and your son...they are doing remarkable stuff with nerve repair,I had a very good surgeon when a peice of glass fell on my wrist at a house fire and severed a nerve, I couldnt move nor feel anything in my last two fingers ,went in for about a 4 hr surgery and came out fine and went home as soon as they saw i could walk staight. God bless him and all our service people and the fallen on this memorial day and every day.

HOLD YO HEAD UP MULEY

Post Thanks / Like

God bless your son and all your family. There are many good people on this board who will continue to pray for a full recovery. Miracles still happen and with new advances being made all the time there is a very good possibility he'll make improvements that will surprise you. On this Memorial Day thank him for his courage and his service to a very grateful nation.

Post Thanks / Like

My prayers are with you and your son. They are doing marvelous things with nerve damgage these days. Keep the good attitude.
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to you and your son for all of your sacrifices. The foundation of this country is built on the courage of men like you and your son. God bless you both, and may God bless all other veterans on this Memorial Day.

Peace...
    - Life is good! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Skip. Thanks for keeping us informed on your son's condition. Please keep believing that he will get better because the doctors are not always right. My work is in residential construction and I have had two severe injuries that the doctors told me would keep me from being able to do this work. The first was a back injury that had them thinking I would only be able to lift a maximum of seven pounds. I am able to lift anything that I need to at work.
    My second injury was a broken leg and destroyed ankle. Plates and screws now hold my leg together and my ankle is almost imobile. The doctors said I would never be able to climb ladders or get on roofs again. Two weeks after they released me I was climbing ladders and getting on roofs.
    I do live in pain every day but I am able to do things that I never thought would be possible.
    Just rememmber THRUOGH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.
    Keep the faith and he will be better than you ever thought possible.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers sent. Just keep thinking positive.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PointerMan
    Thanks to you and your son for all of your sacrifices. The foundation of this country is built on the courage of men like you and your son. God bless you both, and may God bless all other veterans on this Memorial Day.

Peace...

Well said, I feel the same way.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I will pray for your son Skip. Keep your head up and tell Randy that we are thinking of him and praying for him.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast