Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm ready for cold weather again

brushhunter Guest

Default I'm ready for cold weather again

Last December:D

Post Thanks / Like

i second

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you fellas feel just about like i do. I don't know about everyone else, but this has been one of the worse springs for crappie I have seen in a long time. I know there were places that some were caught, but the usual places I have been fishing with reasonable luck just have not produced this spring. Even with summer starting and crappie moving back to deeper water, the fish are still harder to find and catch than the last couple of years. This is one challenging year for a novice.

Post Thanks / Like

its good to know that there is some hope for a better year next year. although for my first year i dont feel to bad i estimate i cleaned between 150 to 200 crappie and allmost all of them befor the end of feb. couldnt buy a bite after the weather started warming up.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean....I've been able to stay on fish pretty well throughout winter and spring....but once it starts getting hot I struggle. I know that I should be able to catch them the same places that I did in the winter. The problem is, in the winter the lake is drawn down so the ledges I fish are 12 to 15 ft. deep. Know those same ledges are 25 to 30 ft deep and I'm not good at fishing deep for crappie. Guess I just need to keep trying. The heat makes it real tough to stay with a technique that your not real confident with.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ready for cold weather

Here is a pic of a buddy and me taken in December of last year showing a two man limit from Lake Shelbyville. We haven't taken a limit of keepers yet this spring. We have been catching a ton of crappie with most of them falling just short of the 10 inch mark. We have thrown back a lot of 9.5 to just under 10 inch crappie. In the winter we can get our two man limit of 20 and only have to take 25 to 30 crappie to do so.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I am still fishing a little bit. I just dont enjoy it as much when it gets hot ,seems to much like a job. I think i fished around 100 days in the first 4 months of the year and i think i have only gotten 10 days this month in. Anyway its time to start playing golf and bream fish.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my best trips have been on the hottest days of the summer. Its weird, but the water was 14 ft deep and we caught them about 18 inches below the surface. We were fishing boat lanes in a marsh. I don't know if it was lack of oxygen or what, but it sure was fun. In 5 trips with either my wife or a couple of my boys with me, we caught over 400 that we took home.
    Here is pics from a couple of trips. They aren't real big, but lots of them.

You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!!

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

that's a real catch !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast