Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no dumb questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default no dumb questions

I,ve been here reading and making a few comments for a while and I'm learning a lot from you guys Thanks for this site.
    now for the dumb question, I don't understand a couple of methods that you talk about:
    1, what is tight line fishing
    2, what is vertical casting
    Thanks in advance for your comments
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

tight line fishing is fishing without a cork, catfishing,crappie fishing etc where you have just your bait (a weight for catfishing) and you have to rely on feeling the fish bite. "Jigging for crappie is tight lining and there is no better feeling than the "thump"....really gets your blood flowing.....never heard of vertical casting though.

HOLD YO HEAD UP MULEY

Post Thanks / Like

verical casting is when you drop line staight down to what ever depth you want and then retreive real slow
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

go to home page, click on ARTICLES, and read what CRAPPIEPAPPY wrote on the subject.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-27-2007 at 06:54 AM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Wannabe ....

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    go to home page, click on ARTICLES, and read what CRAPPIEPAPPY wrote on the subject.

WJW is correct ... I have an article about "Vertical Casting" in the articles section of the site. But, you don't have to go to the "home" page ... the Articles link is at the top of this page.
    Painterfish has given you the down & dirty on what Vertical Casting is ... in it's simplest definition. The article just goes into more detail. It also explains that I did not "invent" the method, but just gave it a "name", to distinguish it from Vertical Jigging.

I think "tightline" fishing is usually considered as fishing live bait on the end of your line ... line dropping straight down from rod tip to bait, with no floats attached. That's my concept/definition of it, anyway. It's what I grew up calling "still fishing" ... since, in most cases, the boat was stationary (tied up) and the rods were not held in hand, and the lines were "tight" (hanging straight down) from the sinker's weight.

..... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no dumb questions on this forum. I completely agree with Crappie Pappy. we are here to mentor and to help each other. I just posted a thread with some video clips on it. I hope others who really want to mentor our youth will add URL videos to it.

Keep your line tight and set your jaw. The rest is easy.

old ship
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-27-2007 at 07:40 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Ship, saw the post and watched some of them. jig tying doesn't look as hard as I thought it was.
    vertical casting and tight line are methods I've used years ago, didn't know what they were called. See I learned something new today. Thanks a bunck.
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunck. oops that should be thanks a bunch. i guess I need glasses for my two fingers.
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

May I add another dumb question? I have seen poles that only have what looks like clips for line at the place where a reel fits on regular poles. Is that what they are and if so, how do you use them? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Most of these are 10' and longer rods.
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Yes, Boat49 ....

Quote Originally Posted by boat49
    May I add another dumb question? I have seen poles that only have what looks like clips for line at the place where a reel fits on regular poles. Is that what they are and if so, how do you use them? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Most of these are 10' and longer rods.

Those are line holders ... meant for you to wrap your line around. If the rod has guides, they can be used as a "reel" ... but, you would have to manually take the line off and wind it on by hand. If the rod does not have guides, it's more of a "storage" space for your line. Basically, one step above a "cane pole" style rod.

.... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast