Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what GPS features?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what GPS features?

If I wanted to mark the location of some crappie mats that I've put down, what kind of GPS would I need without over-killing? I know very little about this kind of stuff and could buy something that won't do the job, or have too many features and cost a bundle. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

Talk with Jerry Blake on the ARK. board, he is really up to snuff on gps, and he won't steer you wrong..........Good Luck

spider rig man

Post Thanks / Like

Thats all I use mine for and I have a Garmin GPS 72. Pretty old tech, not a lot of bells and whistles.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Garmin Geko 201
    Had it for a few years.... simple, simple, simple.... I only us it to mark my Christmas trees I put in the lake, good wholes, boat ramps, creek channels.... etc..etc... low tech.... stores 500 waypoints.... and easy to use... think I gave $99.00....... cant beat it.
    Good fishing.........

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Jerry this a couple of months ago. He recommended the garmin 76. At crappie camp, darryl morris had this unit also. I wound up going with the lowrance h20c. (color) The lowrance h20 (b&W)has a lot of good features on it also at a comparable price. either one of those will work good. the 12 volt adapter comes with it also, which is something you have to buy extra on the garmin 76.
    The only problem with most of the gps units is that they don't come with high detail maps, & you will have to buy them separately. Lowrance has a lot of free lake maps, & if you are fishing any of those lakes, it is very good. there are a couple from MS, but not a lot. I think the h20 has a slightly larger screenthan the garmin 76. I wound up getting the ram mount to put it on my boat, & had a buddy w/ a lowrance map software, & he made me a card (they use sd cards for addl. info), so it is set up exactly the way i want it.
    In addition, @ crappie camp on greeson, the waypoints that jerry & darryl posted were dead on. I found every brushpile that I looked for, & they were right where the points said they were. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Default got my new Garmen 76

This thng is awesome. I was on the waterway all day playing with it.

Thanks to Gonefishin' , Randybenham, CrappieTexan, SteveJ, Spider rig man, for all your input. I ran into a deal that I could not turn down. Cost me less than $100.00. Now Ya'll have to teach me to use it. Ha Ha.

This tool will be put to good use, especially marking brushpiles and controlling my boat speed while trolling. Thanks fellows. John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

Hey man tell us about that deal on the Garmin 76.

srm

Post Thanks / Like

found it on E-Bay. Little old widow lady. Well you know the "Rest of the story".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    This thng is awesome. I was on the waterway all day playing with it.

Thanks to Gonefishin' , Randybenham, CrappieTexan, SteveJ, Spider rig man, for all your input. I ran into a deal that I could not turn down. Cost me less than $100.00. Now Ya'll have to teach me to use it. Ha Ha.

This tool will be put to good use, especially marking brushpiles and controlling my boat speed while trolling. Thanks fellows. John
    Hey willsjwills:

Did you get the Map 76 or the 76? Either one will work for getting you back to spots you've saved. The first thing you need to do is go into "Set-Up" and make sure the WAAS is "Enabled". Then I would recommend setting your "Orientation" to "Up" or "Ahead" rather than "North". I just use the "Map Page" on mine, zoomed in to 30-feet and have it set to "Show Waypoints". When I get close to the waypoint I want to fish it starts showing up on the map and I simply move the boat towards it until the waypoint is under the triangle in the center of the screen, which represents your position. If the waypoint doesn't show up when I think I'm close I just zoom out until I see it and then zoom back in to 30-feet when I get closer.

If you didn't get a power cable you'll probably want one and you may want a Marine Mount to hold it securely on your deck while your fishing. You can get both from - http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Garm...0_10085_00.htm and http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Garm...0_10300_00.htm. Hopefully you got a data cable with your GPS so you can back-up your waypoints on your computer. A real good (and free) program for transferring waypoints is www.easyGPS.com.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    found it on E-Bay. Little old widow lady. Well you know the "Rest of the story".
    John,

You need 2 of them! Naw not little old ladies. One of them in a lifetime is enough. I mean GPS.

I have two hand GPS.
    One I got me waypoints on. The other I make tracks on. I use the tracks to go exploring, then delete all the tracks after a trip. It's easy. Just don't get the GPS units mixed up. ha

Sometimes when I am out "hot dogging", I have my laptop gps on, my Ipaq gps on, my GPS 76 on and GPS 276C on at the same time. I still get lost. Hey I wake up in a new world every day.haha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast