Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Battery?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Battery?

I have an AGM (absorbed glass mat) trolling motor battery that will never reach full charge. It's not my charger so is this battery shot?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are sure its not the charger, it must be the battery. Take it to your local auto parts store and have it load tested to be sure.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about that kind of battery.
    But take a standard battery. And not start out with a full charge. And that is what you will always have. Is a battery that will be 3/4 or so. Just like it was when you start.
    Also I would try a different charger also. As I thought a few years it was not my charger. But it was..
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a brand new starter batter last February. By April I noticed my battery was dead every time I went to raise my motor. Took it in and had it tested and sure enough, that two month old batter was bad. It was replaced for free...can't explain why every now and then you get one that just isn't right.

Post Thanks / Like

It used to be an awesome battery. It's four years old and I used to hardly be able to draw it down. My son used it during duck season and probably didn't keep it charged properly.
    It weighs 84 lbs. and cost about 150.00. Next time I'm just going to get the big yellow ones at Wal-Mart!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy a set of batteries for my boat atleast every other year and sometimes more often. The use I give a set is just more than Walmart batteries can take . Mine get charged about 5 times a week.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it is the same,but small rechargable batteries(like AA for a camera)develope a "memory".The instructions say to let them fully discharge,then fully re-charge them.Otherwise,using them down to...say 80%,then topping them off with a charge means after a while thats all you will get out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    It used to be an awesome battery. It's four years old and I used to hardly be able to draw it down. My son used it during duck season and probably didn't keep it charged properly.
    It weighs 84 lbs. and cost about 150.00. Next time I'm just going to get the big yellow ones at Wal-Mart!
    If those are the EverStart kind I can attest that they are awesome!
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

These are Deka batteries. I bought two of them. If I have to replace it I'll just move the good one to the trolling motor and buy a good starting battery for the motor. It's about time to replace batteries anyway.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

AAtype batteries are aukaline . the boat and car batteries are made to charge at any point .i test my batteries with a load tester .
    retired and now i will always fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast