Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beetle Spin

Post Thanks / Like

Question Beetle Spin

How many of you have used Beetle Spins and similar rigs for crappie?
    What soft plastics are good.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddies and I caught quiet a few on home-made beetle spins type lures last summer, trolling them off the break.

Post Thanks / Like

Default We've used them

We bought some of the small knock-offs of the original Beetle-Spin in an assortment of colors. Those and other jigs clipped onto a hairpin type spinner work very well when the water is still cool - at least for us. We don't do so well with that type of rig after things warm up. Then we go to a tube or grub, generally.

We fish almost exclusively using a cast and retrieve. If we troll, it's only for a short time, while trying to find actively feeding fish or if things are really slow. Then we have the best luck using an in-line spinner or a CrappieMagic minnowhead jig with a crappie slider. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I've used them ...

but, prefer Roadrunners to them. I can cast a Roadrunner a bit further, and it sinks a bit faster/deeper. If I want a slower presentation - I usually drop down in weight (usually from 1/16oz to 1/32oz Roadrunner). I've used the "originals" and the Hildebrandt clip-on blade setup/jighead ... they are both effective, especially for very shallow water presentations. I've just had better productivity from a Roadrunner - slow trolled, cast/retrvd in open water, in current, and around bridges & docks. For most other situations, and especially around any timber or other potential hang-up spots, I'll use a weedless jighead/tube. ..........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I USE CHARLIE BREWERS-"WHIRLY BEES",you can troll them or cast an retrive.EITHER WAY THEIR PRETTY GOOD TILL THE WATER GETS HOT!!THEIR ALSO REAL SMALLMOUTH BAITS,I THINK THATS WHAT THEY WERE ORIG.FOR.MY 13 YEAR OLD SON HAS A 3lb 10oz CRAPPIE ON THE WALL HE CAUGHT ON ONE LAST MARCH!!WE ALSO USE ALOT OF SQUIRTS,SLIDERS,ECT. GOOD FISHIN TO YA----DENNIS
    Last edited by DENNIS BOWERS; 02-11-2005 at 03:08 PM. Reason: MISTAKE IN WORDING
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

The little trick below makes any jig a beetle spin. Made by Lindy, Available from Bass Pro and others. Make your you match blade size to lure weight. Culprit makes a fine line of soft plastics to fit most situations. In colder water a tube tipped with a small minnow or scent works well as the weather warms and you can work the lure faster a curly tail works well. Hang onto your rod any thing from a bream to a striper will hit those things.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up works good...

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    The little trick below makes any jig a beetle spin. Made by Lindy, Available from Bass Pro and others. Make your you match blade size to lure weight. Culprit makes a fine line of soft plastics to fit most situations. In colder water a tube tipped with a small minnow or scent works well as the weather warms and you can work the lure faster a curly tail works well. Hang onto your rod any thing from a bream to a striper will hit those things.
    use em all the time whizkids, got mine at wally world, several different sizes, started using 3 years ago....catch mainly crappie and green carp...fun to use also...don't think the ones @ w.w. made by lindy...think they are knock-offs. ..still work tho....
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Default use them, love them!!

I use the set up you are talking about. I buy them at WW also think they are knock off as well. But prefer the road runners over the beetle spins. I bought the heads at WW and at BPS, just put what ever plastic you want to on them. I also like the one with maraboo on them. I know I can not spell if I spelled something wrong. I get busted all the time on it. :rolleyes:
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

One strange plastic body I used to catch crappie on b.spins is a double tail grub made for Bass Pro - the Cajun Trailer. Cajun Trailer

Slim tubes and curly tail grubs are also good for me, but sometimes crappie go berserk for that 2 3/4" double tail. Oh yeah, doubletail grubs are also b.spin winners.

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Beetlespins and that sort of lure catch just about everything that swims. Ive cught everything from smallmouth to perch with them.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast