PDA

View Full Version : Beetle Spin

senkosam
02-11-2005, 11:07 AM
How many of you have used Beetle Spins and similar rigs for crappie?
What soft plastics are good.

Indy-Travis
02-11-2005, 12:02 PM
My buddies and I caught quiet a few on home-made beetle spins type lures last summer, trolling them off the break.

Roberta
02-11-2005, 12:15 PM
We bought some of the small knock-offs of the original Beetle-Spin in an assortment of colors. Those and other jigs clipped onto a hairpin type spinner work very well when the water is still cool - at least for us. We don't do so well with that type of rig after things warm up. Then we go to a tube or grub, generally.

We fish almost exclusively using a cast and retrieve. If we troll, it's only for a short time, while trying to find actively feeding fish or if things are really slow. Then we have the best luck using an in-line spinner or a CrappieMagic minnowhead jig with a crappie slider. - Roberta

CrappiePappy
02-11-2005, 01:57 PM
but, prefer Roadrunners to them. I can cast a Roadrunner a bit further, and it sinks a bit faster/deeper. If I want a slower presentation - I usually drop down in weight (usually from 1/16oz to 1/32oz Roadrunner). I've used the "originals" and the Hildebrandt clip-on blade setup/jighead ... they are both effective, especially for very shallow water presentations. I've just had better productivity from a Roadrunner - slow trolled, cast/retrvd in open water, in current, and around bridges & docks. For most other situations, and especially around any timber or other potential hang-up spots, I'll use a weedless jighead/tube. ..........cp :cool:

DENNIS BOWERS
02-11-2005, 03:05 PM
I USE CHARLIE BREWERS-"WHIRLY BEES",you can troll them or cast an retrive.EITHER WAY THEIR PRETTY GOOD TILL THE WATER GETS HOT!!THEIR ALSO REAL SMALLMOUTH BAITS,I THINK THATS WHAT THEY WERE ORIG.FOR.MY 13 YEAR OLD SON HAS A 3lb 10oz CRAPPIE ON THE WALL HE CAUGHT ON ONE LAST MARCH!!WE ALSO USE ALOT OF SQUIRTS,SLIDERS,ECT. GOOD FISHIN TO YA----DENNIS :)

whizkids
02-11-2005, 03:21 PM
The little trick below makes any jig a beetle spin. Made by Lindy, Available from Bass Pro and others. Make your you match blade size to lure weight. Culprit makes a fine line of soft plastics to fit most situations. In colder water a tube tipped with a small minnow or scent works well as the weather warms and you can work the lure faster a curly tail works well. Hang onto your rod any thing from a bream to a striper will hit those things.

KARL
02-11-2005, 05:48 PM
The little trick below makes any jig a beetle spin. Made by Lindy, Available from Bass Pro and others. Make your you match blade size to lure weight. Culprit makes a fine line of soft plastics to fit most situations. In colder water a tube tipped with a small minnow or scent works well as the weather warms and you can work the lure faster a curly tail works well. Hang onto your rod any thing from a bream to a striper will hit those things.
use em all the time whizkids, got mine at wally world, several different sizes, started using 3 years ago....catch mainly crappie and green carp...fun to use also...don't think the ones @ w.w. made by lindy...think they are knock-offs. :confused: ..still work tho.... :)

fishin3
02-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I use the set up you are talking about. I buy them at WW also think they are knock off as well. But prefer the road runners over the beetle spins. I bought the heads at WW and at BPS, just put what ever plastic you want to on them. I also like the one with maraboo on them. I know I can not spell if I spelled something wrong. I get busted all the time on it. :rolleyes:

senkosam
02-11-2005, 07:37 PM
One strange plastic body I used to catch crappie on b.spins is a double tail grub made for Bass Pro - the Cajun Trailer. Cajun Trailer (http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=32792&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults)

Slim tubes and curly tail grubs are also good for me, but sometimes crappie go berserk for that 2 3/4" double tail. Oh yeah, doubletail grubs are also b.spin winners.

Sam

Bassman
02-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Beetlespins and that sort of lure catch just about everything that swims. Ive cught everything from smallmouth to perch with them.

Kokanee King
02-11-2005, 09:50 PM
well I have some, tryed them and have caught nothing but after hearing this i might tie one back on and see what i can do with it.

paddlebug235
02-11-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm like Kokanee but yesterday I was in a meeting with 2 fisheries biologists and the were ranting and raving about how a beetle spin is the deadliest crappie and bream bait ever. I guess I will have to try them again. I'm also the only person I know who has had no luck with crappie nibbles.

fiddlefarter
02-11-2005, 11:37 PM
I too have not had much success with either. I haven't tossed a bettle spin much though I do use and have caught many on a roadrunner. I don't know whats up withj the nibbles, they just haven't seemed to make any difference when I have used them.

Kokanee King
02-11-2005, 11:43 PM
That is where i differ i do perfer to tip my jigs with crappie nibbles,I do find them very effective.

Crappie Chaser
02-12-2005, 07:27 AM
My favorite way to fish a beetle spin is with a 2" Culprit Tassel Tail grub tipped with a Grubco wax or mealy worm. It casts farther and the tails gives the life-like action of a baitfish. The Grubco worms gives the added scent and taste to make the crappie to "kill" the lure. My favorite technique is to retrieve the beetle spin just fast enough for the spinners to spin and just tipping the top of cover. No need to worry about hangups much, since the arm of the spinner works as a weed guard and the hooks should be pointed upwards.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-12-2005, 08:00 AM
The biggest crappie I caught last year. I caught on a beetle spin. I don't throw them very often. That day it was to windy to tightline and I could not hold the boat. So after fighting the wind for a couple hours. I just decided to let the wind take me and started casting a beetle spin. It resulted in my biggest crappie of last year 14.5" Not that big for most but, on my home lake it's a pretty good size crappie. I still don't use beetle spins that often unless It's to windy to tightline. When I was a kid that was my favorite lure. I just kind of got away from it.

unknown 5
02-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Like some of the others, I prefer roadrunners. But, I have caught some nice crappie using beetle spins and like other said, sometimes you will get a big surprize and hook into something much bigger than a crappie. :D

Barnacle Bill
02-12-2005, 08:10 AM
C C brings up an important point (Pun intended) about the hooks pointing upwards. They can be put on backwards. It won't take you long to realize there is something wrong. They will hang on everything in the water. I've fished with them for many years and like someone else said, just about anything will hit them.

Cane Pole
02-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Road Runner. Tit lining, vertical jiging, casting, trolling. Hard to beat. But I still have my beatle spins and rooster tails..haha No telling what will hit any one of these rascals....

KARL
02-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Road Runner. Tit lining, vertical jiging, casting, trolling. Hard to beat. But I still have my beatle spins and rooster tails..haha No telling what will hit any one of these rascals....
...here we go again.....Cane Pole, do you have to take your shirt off for "tit lining" or can you do that fully dressed????..LOL :D hahahahahahah....bet that hurts if you catch a slab...can just imagine the pain if you hang striper... :o....sorry, couldn't stop myself.. :D

FalconSmitty
02-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Karl you catch strippers titlining......
CP that is funE

Jerry Blake
02-13-2005, 06:20 AM
Y'all crack me up!

KARL
02-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Karl you catch strippers titlining......
CP that is funE
...heck, if that's the case then I need to learn THAT technique.. :D

olelucky
02-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I grew up fishing with the beetle spins, don't fish them much anymore. I may have to try the roadrunners a little more.

Moose1am
02-13-2005, 05:31 PM
If that is what you are calling a Beatle Spin then I have used those type of spinners many times. My panfish tackle box is full of those spinners. Most of mine are attached to a jig head 1/16 oz with plastic bodies of different colors.

I didn't use them very much this past year as I got into drop shotting and very slow trolling with jigs and minnow but I use to cast these small spinners a lot.

They are excellent at times. I can remember times at Gibson Lake near Princeton IN when I could not keep the crappie off one of those bait. And there was on or two times at Patoka Lake when I fished these baits over a weedbed and over a Corp of engineer log fish attractor and the crappie would hit this bait with gusto.

Last fall I caught a nice crappie off an beaver lodge by casting this type of small spinner bait.

There is something about the sound vibrations and the sunlight flashing off these spinners that makes the fish try to eat them.

These baits are very good for seaching for fish. You can throw them out and count them down and fish all depths from the surface to the very bottom of the lake. Fish them with a very slow retrieve or fish them with a stop and go retrieve or even just drag them behind the boat. When the crappie are in the weeds these baits can be fish over the top of the weeds and be very productive.

So many baits and so little time