Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Deep South

marshmonkey Guest

Default Deep South

I'm just joining in and new to fishing. I would like to start fishing sacalait. Does any one have any advice or know any hotspots in SE LA?

Post Thanks / Like

marshmonkey,
    You are getting into sacalait fishing at just the right time. The spawn is about to start. While this is not the only time you can catch sacalait it is the best time to locate them and have a good time.
    Go to your favorite lake or whatever and look for the following:
    Trees that have fell in the water, stumps sticking out the water, if you have a fish finder look for areas that have a shallow spot right next to a drop off. The drop off does not have to be deep.
    Fish the stumps the trees and the drop offs. Right now the fish will probably be stacked or bunched in what is commonly called a staging area waiting for water conditions to be just right for the spawn. How deep the staging area is will depend on your water conditions. Clear / dirty / stained and such
    Get you some books or videos they really come in handy for learning tips and such.
    What part of LA you from?
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

marshmonkey Guest

Thanks Deacon for the info. I am from the Houma area but fish a lot around Grassy Lake and Duck Lake area. I also hear Lake Boeuf is a good area but havn't tried it lately. Planning a trip to Lake Fausse Point next month. I'll be with the kids so don't know how much fishing I'll get done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marshmonkey
    Thanks Deacon for the info. I am from the Houma area but fish a lot around Grassy Lake and Duck Lake area. I also hear Lake Boeuf is a good area but havn't tried it lately. Planning a trip to Lake Fausse Point next month. I'll be with the kids so don't know how much fishing I'll get done.
    Let me know and I will meet you down there and show ya"ll some spots to try.

marshmonkey Guest

Thanks Deacon. I may take you up on that although you may regret it.

What are the best jigs for the Lake. What areas do you recommend--within the park or down in the lake itself. I've had bad experiences with the lake found a lot of shallow spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Deacon. I may take you up on that although you may regret it.

What are the best jigs for the Lake. What areas do you recommend--within the park or down in the lake itself. I've had bad experiences with the lake found a lot of shallow spots.
    I recommend the bar pits along the levee using minnows or tube jigs. I tend to always use the chartreuse and black or chartreuse and red.
    Be sure to get any minnows before you get to the park.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to live in Thibodaux and I have never gone to Lake Boeuf and not caught any fish. Man, I caught some slabs last year at this time, 12 fish filled a gallon sized freezer bag full of slabs. Launch in Raceland and stay in the main cut trough the entire lake to the north side of the lake. Right when you exit the lake and start to entire the canal, start fishing. I have had better sucess on the right side of the canal. Fish with Black/chart. or Blue/white 1/32oz tube jig with a cork about 4-5 feet up. Berkley Crappie Nibbles also helps. A fish finder helps if you have one. Fish in about 4-6 foot of water and toward the water lillies on the bank. I would also recommend the Turtle Bayou Oil and Gas Feild out of Bayou Black Marina. I hope this helps.
    I'd rather be fishing!!!

marshmonkey Guest

Thanks SacalaitSlammer. This is great info. I've been want to go out in bayou black but the water is so high right. But when the water goes down I will take your advise.