Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nanos....flick tails...how to rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Nanos....flick tails...how to rig?

I recently got some Nanos from NJcrappie's site...does
    anyone know how to properly rig them or flick tails?
    Do you always tip them with bait or nibbles?

Thanks for your input!

tnvol

Post Thanks / Like

you can either thread them on a hook or just put them thru the end of the triple ball end.

you can fish them by themselves on a jighead or use them as an added bait to a hair or marabou jig.

The gills and crappies love that little bouncing ball on the end. I've found that they work best threaded on a jighead and fished under a bobber. Slowing twitch and reel in the bobber to give the jig and moving and bouncing motion in the water.

Good luck.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey, my friend ...

Quote Originally Posted by tnvol
    I recently got some Nanos from NJcrappie's site...does
    anyone know how to properly rig them or flick tails?
    Do you always tip them with bait or nibbles?
    Thanks for your input!
    tnvol
    You "shootin docks" with those :D
    If so, I'd just thread them on a 1/32 - 1/24 - 1/16oz weedless jighead ... and shoot away
    Added "meat" or other "foreign substances", shouldn't be necessary. And, as you well know, don't seem to last long on a jig being shot under a dock, or skipping across the water's surface :D
    Now, casting/retrieving, or jigging, or possibly even slow trolling with them ... may be another story. Sometimes a little "addition" can be of benefit, then. Me, personally ... I rarely "tip" my jigs with anything. I'll put a minner on a plain jighead, now & then, but usually it's just plastics. And I use hair/feather jigs, as is, too. Never got much into "dressing up" my baits, with a lot of 'extras' :p (but, I've got nothing against doing it, or those that do it ... if it works for them )

You been to the "Bar", recently ? How'd you do this Spring ?

..... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Camofish and CP....thanks for your answers ! I will give
    these little suckers a workout soon.

CP: I didn't get to fish the Bar til April..but still had
    a fair spring. I think the larger crappie there are caught
    very early...usually March. Ft Loudon seems to yield some
    large ones earlier also...maybe even in Feb.
    Yeps...dock shooting is still one of my favorite pastimes..but
    this year I seemed to find more crappie in the open water
    brushpiles. Maybe that Killer beat me to all the docks!!

tnvol

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Naaah .... wasn't "Killer" ....

Quote Originally Posted by tnvol
    Camofish and CP....thanks for your answers ! I will give
    these little suckers a workout soon.

CP: I didn't get to fish the Bar til April..but still had
    a fair spring. I think the larger crappie there are caught
    very early...usually March. Ft Loudon seems to yield some
    large ones earlier also...maybe even in Feb.
    Yeps...dock shooting is still one of my favorite pastimes..but
    this year I seemed to find more crappie in the open water
    brushpiles. Maybe that Killer beat me to all the docks!!

tnvol
    He's given up on fishing, according to a reliable source :p ... and spends his time/money doing the 4 wheeler thing :rolleyes:

I think this years flip-flop weather is responsible for the "dock shooting" not being as productive as usual. But, I would never count them out, nor would I ever expect the situation to be the same from year to year ... it's best to start looking for them, under the docks, first -- then head for the nearest brushpile, in the vicinity. They're usually at one or the other, sometime during the March to May timeframe.

Do give us a report on how the "new" baits perform, when you get a chance to give them a workout.

..... luck2ya ... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Pappy,

Last year while visiting friends in Knoxville we fished Cherokee Lake as well Douglas. It seemed as if they loved Marabou tipped with a wax worm for the scent trail. I've never fished Watts Bar bit i suspect they will act the same way as those Knoxville area crappies. If not.......well you just have to tain them.:D

This time of the year I would fish shade or fish deeper. ALWAYS have a CHARTREUSE marabou tail on your jig. Fish it slow and then slow down some more.

old ship
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-26-2007 at 01:25 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Ship ....

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41
    Crappie Pappy,

Last year while visiting friends in Knoxville we fished Cherokee Lake as well Douglas. It seemed as if they loved Marabou tipped with a wax worm for the scent trail. I've never fished Watts Bar bit i suspect they will act the same way as those Knoxville area crappies. If not.......well you just have to tain them.:D

This time of the year I would fish shade or fish deeper. ALWAYS have a CHARTREUSE marabou tail on your jig. Fish it slow and then slow down some more.

old ship
    I catch enough, or get bit often enough by Bluegill ... when fishing plastics & RR's ... that I really wouldn't want to "encourage" them more, by adding a wax worm to the hook :D
    The WB Crappie are willing takers of marabou jigs, alright ... but, their preferred hiding places, more often than not, make it all but impossible to use them without losing them :p And that's something I don't have to worry about, now that I'm using weedless jigheads/plastics ... in those places.
    Now, when they can be found in open water, around bridge pilons, or suspended over submerged cover ... an open hook jig works fine.
    Even when first using the Vertical Casting method, I employed marabou jigs, originally .... and successfully, even in blowdowns & brush piles. But, after having tried the same method, in the same places, with weedless jigheads/plastics ... and with the same succesful results, minus the number of lost jigs, I've concluded that it's more productive to use the weedless jig.

As I've often stated, I just don't care to "dress up" my baits .... unless & until it becomes obvious that it's absolutely necessary. So far, in most instances, that hasn't become necessary.

If you're ever in the area again ... you really ought to give WB a try. And that's especially true, if you like shooting docks. Dock shooting is one of the more productive methods employed on WB ... and is probably productive most all year long. I know it's productive from late March to mid May, and in Oct/Nov since those are the timeframes I've fished it, over the last decade or so. I've been told that deep water docks are productive in Summer, and can only imagine them to be so in Winter, as well.

.... cp

NJcrappie Guest

this is how I use the nano with a jig. I also use them by themselves on a small bait holder hook (deadly for gills).