Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man charged with shooting fisherman competing in tournament

Post Thanks / Like

Default Man charged with shooting fisherman competing in tournament

GREENSBORO, Ga. (AP) — An 86-year-old man didn't want anyone getting too close to his fishing lines, so he took a few shots at a pair of fishermen competing at a tournament, authorities said. One of them was hit in the arm.

John Burke Yearwood of Madison was jailed on a charge of aggravated assault and later released on bond.

Greene County Sheriff Chris Houston said Yearwood has been putting his fishing lines out in the area for decades.

Two men competing in a fishing tournament Saturday on the Oconee River told authorities that when they got close to Yearwood's lines, Yearwood raised a rifle and fired two shots that hit the water in front of their boat. A sheriff's department report says Yearwood -- who was at a fishing camp but was not in the tournament -- fired a third shot that hit Craig Barnett as he sat in the boat.

The men said they sped away in the boat and used a cell phone to call 911.

The sheriff's report says Barnett, a Sycamore resident, sustained a wound under his left arm and gave authorities a small-caliber bullet that he says went into his arm.

Investigators found Yearwood at his home.

"He was just trying to warn (them) away from the fishing lines," Houston said Tuesday.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

hope Mr. Yearwood doesn't decide to fish on the Tenn-Tom any time soon. Yeowww.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be careful if fishing in GA.

Post Thanks / Like

That's hardcore "That's MY Spot" action.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

People can do some stupid things over fishing spots, lines and brush piles. We have some trouble here from time to time with that kind of stuff. No one has been shot yet though!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default bad experience for everybody...

Road rage on the water...
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

Well, not to condone shooting at them, but I used to run trotlines and I had quite a few of them cut by bass fishermen who got hung on them. I have heard a lot off bass fishermen say they will cut one if it is all dirty like it had been out for a while. Well, what they don't know is that a line that has been out for a couple days looks as old as one that has been out for weeks or months. Also, a lot of people run the same lines year round and a lot of work and money goes into making one up. People should not cut lines cus they don't know why it is there. Sure, some of them are abandoned, but you can't know that unless you watch it for 24 hours a day for a week or so. I hated haveing my lines cut. One day I say a guy cut my line. I eased over to his boat and struck up a conversation with him. He had a high dollar rod and reel and I started admiring it and asking what it cost. He said it cost 150 for the set and I asked if I could look at it. He said sure and handed it to me. I politely chucked it in the water and said that makes us even. He said for what and I said for cutting my ..... line! Was I wrong? I don't think so. Anyway, if it ain't yours, leave it be.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

We take our fishing spots serious here in GA.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I run trot lines as well. And I equally hate it when someone cuts my line. Even if it can be repaired, you've still lost all your fish. HOWEVER, I would NEVER pull a gun on them, much less pull the trigger. I love my guns. But I think I'd rather be taking my daughter fishing than having her visiting me every 3rd Thursday. Still, I can see Beenfishin throwing that combo in the drink. I can only imagine the look on his face...
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, guns should not be used to solve the problems, but I too have had my trotlines cut by other fishermen. In missouri they want you to mark your lines with your name and address and etc. but when I tryed that then I kept getting them cut more often, so now I hide them the best I can and hope I don't catch anyone fooling with them. And like someone else said I put alot of time and effort into my lines, catching my bait, using stainless steel hooks and making my own weights, however I think a good butt whipping is better than shooting anyone and losing my freedom to fish forever.
    Monk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast