Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trout fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default trout fishing?

I was wondering if anybody has ever fished for trout at bevers bend state park. If so i was wondering where a good spot was and what a good rig might be would work. Would a float and fly rig work with a small tube jig?

Post Thanks / Like

used to fly fish it quite a bit years ago. All the little trout you could catch on wooly buggers and ant patterns. Im sure there bigger fish in there just never caught anything over 1 1/2lb. used to fish right in the pools below beaver dam.
    Its all about how ya wiggle it!

Post Thanks / Like

Like any other fish many good baits,fun to buy new stuff. Ultra lite gear-small baits 1/32-1/64 oz jigs,increase size as the trout size gets bigger. If you want a meat trip try power bait,corn etc. Doesn't hurt to chum some corn ,if not against the law. Any thing shinny,little cleos,small spinners,spoons.etc. Small jig with a small float good too. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I have not been to Beaver's Bend, but I have fished most of the other trout areas in OK. Usually Powerbaiters outfish the Rooster Tail guys, and they outfish the fly fishermen. Personally, I'd rather catch them on the fly, even if that means I don't catch quite as many. I usually catch a few more than the wolly bugger crowd, using small midges 2-3ft under a tiny strike indicator. My personal favorite is a red/black zebra midge. Copper Jons and Disco midges work pretty well for me too. The last time I was out, there was a guy slaying them casting a 1/32 jig with a white soft plastic (it was the most flexible plastic lure I've ever seen; about 2 inch long and straight; looked like a shoestring french fry). Literally, If he made 3 casts in a row without catching one, we were all suprised. I've never seen anyone catch them that consistently. That was at the Lower Illinois River (just West of Ft Smith).
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Beavers Bend as often as I can. I prefer winter fishing. Do you want to fly fish, bait fish or? Check out the Beavers Bend fly shop sight. http://www.beaversbendflyshop.com/ They have a fishing report, weekly.
    Good luck
    Joe
    1967/68