Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help about moss on ponds and lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help about moss on ponds and lakes

I know there was thread one time with an item you could buy like little pellets that you put in the water where there is to much moss. And the pellets will make the moss disappear. If someone knowes the name of this product or where you can buy it, please post me a note.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Copper Sulfate. You can get it at any farmers co/op. A bioligist reccomended that I use it as some of the other products kill the weeds but the decaying plant matter kills the fish as well. This stuff worked for a summer but the grass moss came back the next year. I then put in some type of grass carp I again bought at the co/op and they flat took care of business and they cost me half as much as the copper sulfate.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if grass carp eat Algea? Or if copper sulphate would kill it.? It was so thick last year you could set a drink can on it no problem. It's not my pond, but the nuns might not mind if grass carp will help.
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

The stuff in our pond was not grass but just a soft mushy moss type stuff. It grew in the shallow water all around the pond. We also had some grasses in the pond but the slime moss stuff kept it in check. The grass carp ate all of it.

As far as the nuns go I'm sure they would love the carp especialy on Fridays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy
    Do you know if grass carp eat Algea? Or if copper sulphate would kill it.? It was so thick last year you could set a drink can on it no problem. It's not my pond, but the nuns might not mind if grass carp will help.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like the stuff. How long did it take? It is a small pond, maybe 2 1/2 acres, I will ask my xtention agent, that is what they are for .
    I board my horse on a HUGE farm owned by the Catholic church, Nuns are on my side of the creek Priests are on the other,as far as I can figure. Big creek, James River a pond and 1600 acres to ride on.
    I am pretty sure they preffer crappie over carp!:D
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    Copper Sulfate. You can get it at any farmers co/op. A bioligist reccomended that I use it as some of the other products kill the weeds but the decaying plant matter kills the fish as well. This stuff worked for a summer but the grass moss came back the next year. I then put in some type of grass carp I again bought at the co/op and they flat took care of business and they cost me half as much as the copper sulfate.
    My grand dad had a very bad moss problem in his pond and some of those grass carp cleared it right up.

Post Thanks / Like

Copper Sulfate, aka bluestone, is very effective on algae. However, do not put in a lot of this stuff at a time or it will kill the fish. I have grass carp in my ponds but I would not rely on them to solve an algae problem. As far as how many carp to stock, a fish hatchery recommended 10 carp per acre.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Talk to your extention agent about fertilizing the pond. If you do it right the algie will disappear and the pond with turn an emeral green.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy
    I am pretty sure they preffer crappie over carp!:D
    The Grass Carp they are talking about are a sterile hybrid and are not suppose to reproduce. They are not the normal Carp and feed on Algea and grass in the water. We had a few put in our ponds . Those things sure help a weed problem. I've seen them eating grass hanging over the water they could reach.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

We have a pond(at our deer lease), probably about an acre and a half, it has a pretty bad weed/moss problem, and someone told me that if we put too many grass carp in there they would wipe out all the vegetation in the pond and hurt the fish population. Oppinions?
    Last edited by jlaughlin72; 05-25-2007 at 05:36 AM.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast