Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Power Inverter

katbird Guest

Default Power Inverter

I have 3 batteries in my boat 1 for cranking and 2 for trolling. I have a 2 bank on board charger hooked to the trolling batteries. I just purchased a 1500 watt marine power inverter to run electrical appliances and i'm going to hook it up to the 2 trolling batteries. I need to know if I can plug the on board charger into the power inverter and let it keep the batteries charged plus use the 110 volts. if this would work I would never have to plug my on board charger into the wall outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for safety's sake, make sure you do not hook up the cranking battery in this loop. I wouldn't mess with it just in case....
    I have on board chargers on all of my stuff. But, I do not have one that is self contained as you have explained it. I tried to do almost the same thing with a surge protecter in the house one time. It didn't work at all.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I understand you correctly, you are talking perpetual motion. It won't work.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katbird
    I have 3 batteries in my boat 1 for cranking and 2 for trolling. I have a 2 bank on board charger hooked to the trolling batteries. I just purchased a 1500 watt marine power inverter to run electrical appliances and i'm going to hook it up to the 2 trolling batteries. I need to know if I can plug the on board charger into the power inverter and let it keep the batteries charged plus use the 110 volts. if this would work I would never have to plug my on board charger into the wall outlet.
    :D :D :D "LOL".....I wished that would work, LOL

Post Thanks / Like

It sure would save me alot of gas for the generator.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it would be nice. People having been trying to come up with perpetual motion since the dawn of time.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about building a Wind Generator with an old used car alternator to charge my batteries. I will have to look into this. If any body knows anything about this, let me know

Post Thanks / Like

unfortunately the inverter will use more than the charger will put out. when I was a kid I tryed hooking a generator and a motor togatherwith a belt and givein it a spin, but that did not work either, motor uses more than generator puts out. good try. could use use a solar pannel to slow down the discharge.