PDA

View Full Version : preventing chips on trailer/boat

jcass
02-11-2005, 09:17 AM
I did a search on this but couldn't find anything. Anyone help me?
I have been putting some miles on my boat & trailer and suffering chips on the hull and fenders. Driving a F-350.
Anyone have experience on driving a big truck like that and using some kind of stone guard that can be removed when not towing?
THanks for your help.

KARL
02-11-2005, 10:30 AM
I have been putting some miles on my boat & trailer and suffering chips on the hull and fenders. Driving a F-350.
Anyone have experience on driving a big truck like that and using some kind of stone guard that can be removed when not towing?
THanks for your help.
..get some rubber mats,mud flaps,vinyl carpet runners or simular material and mount on a piece of rebar/stiff metal rod the length of your rear bumper...attach to bumper/or hitch using clamps you can slide rod thru..mount under bumper to hide mounts..put small hose clamps or simular items on end of rod to keep from sliding out of mounts :cool: seen this done with rubber pick-up bed matting on back of dodge from Minn. pulling 5th wheeler...good luck..

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-12-2005, 08:09 AM
My worst experence as a boat owner had to to with chipping on my trailor. My third time out in a brand new 2001 boat. I live out in the sticks and the had just oil and chipped the road I take to get to the lake. So I drove about 30mph to avoid throwing rocks. When I got to the boat ramp I just about Chit my pants :eek: My boat trailor lookes like someone had just Sand blasted it. It took 70% of the paint of the trailor and a few chips on the boat also. It took me months to get over it. In fact I'm still not over it. That is a lesson I will NEVER forget.

Ranger375
02-12-2005, 08:20 AM
If you can find an old conveyor belt that had to be replaced you can cut it down to match your vehicle and hang it the entire width of the vehicle. This is something that friends that pull 5th wheel recreational trailers have done. They leave the guard on all the time.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Thats a great Idea Barry. Even though the damage has already been done. If I ever get a new boat. I will seriously consider that :cool: I know I will never go down a rock raod again even I have to drive 15 miles out of the way. What sucked about what happened to me was that, while I was driving 30mph. I did not hear any rocks hitting the trailor. So I thought I was driving slow eneough not to throw rock. Boy was I wrong. Lesson learned the extreme hard way :(

tarfu
02-12-2005, 02:12 PM
THanks for your help.
howdy; did you check-out the post on the 6th for bareing maint.? had alot of other stuff in there about boats 'n trailers. might want to check it out. tarfu :)