Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need advice on rod and reel selection please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice on rod and reel selection please

Im gearing up for trolling, and I've got a 55lb thrust trolling motor, 2 extra deep cycle 730 amp batteries, rod holders on order and should arrive this week. My only problem, is I havent purchased rod and reels yet, and heres why.
    I am going to be trolling on a large lake where stripers are a big problem. Theres also plenty of Crappie, but I hear horror stories of lots of people having broken rods due to 20 pound stripers hitting their jigs and tearing their equipment up. So, i'm figuring just an ordinary 12 foot jig/trolling rod with 8lb line is not gonna do the trick.
    Instead I want to go with something a bit heavier, but Im trying not to break the bank here. I need to order 6 rod and reels to get me started. I was thinking about possibly a spinning rod and reel combo? Im concerned with the rod length at only 6.5-7 foot though. I know its not ideal, but do you think it will work out ok? My main goal is to catch Crappie, but unfortunantly where I will be trolling and where I'll be nightfishing with lights, their is striper activity.
    I was thinking of going with a Bass pro shops Megacast spinning rod and reel combo for $24.88 each. The rod is a 7 foot medium action and the reel is rated for up to 15lb test line. I was gonna load it with 12lb mono line and I figure that would catch the crappie and give me a good chance if I get a bigger fish on.
    Any and all opinions would be appreciated. Buying 6 rod and reels is highly expensive and I cant afford to do that but every couple of years.
    Also, if these wont work, let me know before I make a mistake. I cant afford $50+ bucks a rod, so Im gonna have to go cheap. I also cant afford to have my rods broken if a lunker fish happens to swim by and attack.

Post Thanks / Like

You poor guy. I wish I had that kind of dilema. Worring about strippers getting on my crappie poles. Just joshing with you. I have never done any striper fishing but would sure like to give it a try sometime. I can't imagine them betting a nuiance. Good luck and I hope someone on here can give you some good advice.
    Crappie spawning and morels popping up at the same time. What was God thinking when he made that schedule. It's pure torture every spring deciding which to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team M&M
    I am going to be trolling on a large lake where stripers are a big problem. Theres also plenty of Crappie, but I hear horror stories of lots of people having broken rods due to 20 pound stripers hitting their jigs and tearing their equipment up.
    This is where having your drag set properly will help. I fish lakes that have decent size stripers but I don't let it influence what rod and reel I buy. I landed this 13lb 8oz striper in 2000 on crappie tackle. (it took a small minnow)

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default reply

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    This is where having your drag set properly will help. I fish lakes that have decent size stripers but I don't let it influence what rod and reel I buy. I landed this 13lb 8oz striper in 2000 on crappie tackle. (it took a small minnow)

Awesome fish there, they get that big and bigger where I fish at. I showed my wife the picture and all she said was "I wonder if hes single?" lol, I better start jogging or something.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, I wouldnt buy gear based on the type of fish I DONT want to catch. Like Tapout said, Let your drag work for you. I fish with 12, 9, and 6 foot rods made specifically for crappie, and Ive yet to have one broke, although they will tangle everything you own up. I couldnt see going out there trolling with 15# test because of the stripers. Thats just my 2 cents, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team M&M
    Awesome fish there, they get that big and bigger where I fish at. I showed my wife the picture and all she said was "I wonder if hes single?" lol, I better start jogging or something.
    She may say, "excuse me sir.....are those bugle boy jeans your wearing". :D

Nice fish and good job getting it in on a crappie rig!

Post Thanks / Like

I would just use bnm jig poles 12 footers with trion reels. Just adjust the drag properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jh_blount
    Like Tapout said, Let your drag work for you.
    Exactly. That's how people land 100 lb sailfish on 8 lb line.