Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: corn meal- plain or self-rising?

Post Thanks / Like

Default corn meal- plain or self-rising?

Which is the best for crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Self-rising.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to use plain corn meal, use the coarse ground stuff if you can find it. Think it might be Indian Head brand. I have never used self-rising.

I've been using House Autry Seafood Breader for the last couple years though. Hardly ever use the corn meal anymore unless I'm out of House Autry.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you on the House Autry. My wife's favorite hands down. I'm still a bit partial to Bass Pro Shop Original, though. Love that bit of spice. The only exception for me is when I fry catfish. Guess I like the experience of when I was a kid, I always go with cornmeal, salt and pepper for those Mr. Whiskers!!
    Remember....Good Things Come to Those Who Bait......

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

House Autry with some Old Bay Seafood seasoning added. YUM! Ketchup with horse radish mixed in is good too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Try Kentucky Kernel, got a picture that looks like Cornel Sanders, GOOD STUFF, you can use it on everything(maters, chicken,srimp,pork chops) as you can tell I like it.GOOD FISHING...Dennis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    House Autry with some Old Bay Seafood seasoning added. YUM! Ketchup with horse radish mixed in is good too.
    The House Autry hushpuppies are good too! That's the only House Autry product I've tried.

I use the Old Bay seasoning when pan frying fillets. I rub olive oil on them and then coat in Old Bay seasong, spray pam in a non stick pan, cook them real slow (low-med heat) on both sides until they're done, and turn up the heat and brown real good on both sides. It makes for some good eatin and easy to prepare.

Post Thanks / Like

Plain, sometimes white, sometimes yellow, depends on the mood. I guess I like yellow best on catfish, white on the others, but usually use white on everything. Fish needs to be moist. 4C cornmeal, 3TBS +2tsp salt, 2tsp pepper, 1/4tsp cayenne. Self-rising has flour in it. Nothing wrong with it, just different. 365 degrees.