Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some help to answer some questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some help to answer some questions

Okay let me first tell you I love to crappie fish, specled trout and red fish on the coast. I'll bass fish in ponds, but other than that. I know nothing.

So, I am taking a group of Boy Scouts to The Boundry Waters Area in norther MN for 9 days of back country fun. Small mouth and walley fishing are suppose to be great. So what do you look for when fishing these things? Bank structure, submerged structure? Lures, presentation.

Heck start with the basics. We can take one rod each. What would your all around rod be? Spinning? Bait casting? Length of rod? Oh yeah, there is bream and crappie there too. Can only pack a small small tackle box so I can't take the kitchen sink. LOL I have my personal clothing and toiletries for 9 days down to less than a pillow case. Portaging might not be fun toteing 100lbs of fishing gear.

Any help would greatly be apreciated.

As far as lures. There I'm sure we can find a tackle store up there. A friend of mine told me to buy some leaches. How long will they live on a trip? Heck worms won't last 4 hours in a container in a canoe in Alabama in the summer time.
    If I was better I'd be twins

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wish I had first hand knowledge.

Wish I could tell you more from "experence", but all I can offer is what info I have gleaned from the sporting goods stores.
    Rod & reel: If narrowed down to just one, would make it a light to light/med spinning outfit.
    Lures: Here is why the light to med/light setup. Most the lures are small spinners, or worm/leach setups. Small lures/baits mean light tackle for castability. Small repalas (3"), #1 and #2 mepps or roadrunners (silver, white, chartruse) Slip corks, so you can set whatever depth you need with bream or crappie hooks and small spiltshots. Also bring your favorite jigs. Use them casting or with the slip cork.
    Water is generally clear so light line (6 to 10lb depending on what your fishing for) is used for less visability.
    Welup, that is about as far as I can take you. Structure is all ways good to find for whatever fish your after. Points and rocks would be worth checking out too.
    If there is anyone else who wants to chime in,,,,PLEASE DO....cuz I need to learn more as well.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say a ML Spinning rod match with a good spinning reel. As for lures I would say bring Mini Mites in different colors and sizes also jigging spoons in different colors and sizes. I like jigging spoons cause of the versatility being able to cast and retreve, vertical jig or toss and jig back to the canoe. Also a way to cover some water is to do a make shift troll by rowing and pulling rapalas, cranks, spinners behind the canoe. Also bring some steel leaders in the case of catching pike.

Post Thanks / Like

whole kernel corn works very well for brim or sunfish. rinse it off dump it out of the can into a plastic zip lock bag and it keeps well in the sun.

the brim always hit and the kids dont really care what they catch as long as they catch something.

the larval out of a wasp nest works good also.

~sticko~

Post Thanks / Like

twister tails and tube jigs in several sizes/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sticko
    whole kernel corn works very well for brim or sunfish. rinse it off dump it out of the can into a plastic zip lock bag and it keeps well in the sun.

the brim always hit and the kids dont really care what they catch as long as they catch something.

the larval out of a wasp nest works good also.

~sticko~
    lmao for some reason i picture someone sticking there hand in a wasp nest and getting the bejesus stung out of them

Post Thanks / Like

don't think the wasp trick ia good idea for beginners , but then again if it's scouts maybe a good time for getting a merit badge