Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Transducer question

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Transducer question

Recently installed a TM transducer on my HB535 and worked fine. This weekend when we got to the lake and I went to put the TNM down I noticed the 535 was on!!!. I have no idea how long it had been like that. I'm not sure if it got bumped while putting the cover on (~1 week earlier) or during loading the boat for the trip to the lake (~3 hours earlier). Well when i got the TM in the water the depth was reading 600+ ft in 12 ft of water. I turned the unit off for the remainder of the afternoon and tried again the next morning. The unit would start at 11 ft, then to 21, then random numbers over 600. Did I smoke the unit, transducer or both???

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't know but wouldn't think it should have harmed it. Fish finders are really small computers and sometimes you need to remove all power to them so they can "reset" themselves. I don't mean turn it off, I mean disconnect the power. If that does not help see if the fish finder will operate in the "self test display" or whatever you call it, Where it is not actually using the transducer.
    I hope you get it worked out, Good Luck.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaving it on is not going to hurt it. Try EZ1's suggestion. Hopefully that will fix it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Try this link.

http://www.humminbird.com/images/PDF/fishfinder.pdf

Erratic Depth (Bottom) Readings
    Before trying the following suggestions, if possible, turn your unit on without using any options or selections to see if the problem may be in the way the depth sounder was set up to operate. Turn all features on Auto and/or set all options to "Restore Defaults" using the Setup Menu tab. If possible, check your unit on a friend’s boat that has the same type of unit and model number. This will indicate whether the problem is with the unit or with the accessories, cables and/or installation. If the unit still has the same problem on your friend’s boat, return it along with a letter explaining the problem in detail. If the unit works correctly on your friend’s boat, proceed with the appropriate suggestions below:

Remember that the depth sounder measures the depth of water that is below the transducer. The motion of your boat riding up and down on waves can be detected by the depth sounder. Ensure that any variations in depth readings that you are experiencing are not due to the water conditions.
    Be sure you are not trying to run two depth sounders at the same time. Using two depth sounders that run on the same frequencies can cause one or both to show incorrect depth readings. Check your Operations Manual for operating frequencies.
    Return to Top
    Maximum Depth
    Check that you are not trying to read beyond your depth sounders maximum depth capabilities. This is shown in your Operations Manual.
    Last edited by FisherMike; 05-21-2007 at 11:52 AM.
    Mike