Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line Twist/Jigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Twist/Jigging

Hello. I spent a week fishing for crappie. I used two spinning reels setups. One I used for jigging and the other was used with a slip bobber. Both poles had some major line twist problems. I spooled both reels per the line manufacturer's instructions. The jigging pole was probably the worse of the two. Any ideas what was happening to cause the jigs to twist?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of line are you using? I tried a new line and went back to Trilene XL, because of line twist.

Post Thanks / Like

One pole had 6-lbs P-Line Fluorocarbon and the other had 10-lbs (doubles as a topwater pole) Trilene Sensations.

Post Thanks / Like

here are 2 ideas to consider.
    first , the line, when you respool both reels, lay the spool down and reel in 20 turns with the rod tip 4 feet off the ground. now drop the rod tip and see if you have twists already, if you do, turn the spool over and the twists will go away.
    second, A problem I have had is the jig is not straight. I jiggle the rod tip, a kind of shake, and the jig was spinning each time I did. horrible line twist. beaver tails do it the worst. you must thread them on straight to not get this twist. one of these is probably the problem. I am a stren man, but I doubt it's the brand.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 12' Buck's jig pole and a zebco 11 spin cast. I had trouble with jigs twisting the line. I use large tube baits and they will spin sometimes . To fix it so the line did'nt wrap around the end of my pole. I now use a small barrel swivel about 18'' up from my jig. Little more trouble tie'n the swivel inline, but stopped the twisting. :D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD
    I use a 12' Buck's jig pole and a zebco 11 spin cast. I had trouble with jigs twisting the line. I use large tube baits and they will spin sometimes . To fix it so the line did'nt wrap around the end of my pole. I now use a small barrel swivel about 18'' up from my jig. Little more trouble tie'n the swivel inline, but stopped the twisting. :D
    That's exactly what I do - it can be a pain when the swivel gets up into the top line guide, but that's offset by keeping twist out of your line. I use FireLine and Pline fluorocarbon for a leader, I join the two with a little swivel.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried many different brands of line and seemed to have similar problems as those listed earlier. I eventually bought a Berkley line spooling station, and immediately noticed an improvement. As long as the line doesn't have too much memory, the spooling device will cut down on the line twists. It was $24 well spent!