Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Expensive night of crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Expensive night of crappie fishing

Not for me, but for a friend of mine. I had originally planned to go camping this weekend with my son's Boy Scout troop, but they cancelled the campout since I was the only leader that could go and we have to have 2 deep leadership.

Anyway I picked up the phone and called my buddy Mississppi and said I'm going fishing to our spot tonight. We are fishing Lake Jordan and slammed them Tuesday night. We were excited about being able to fish all night friday. Mississippi and I were in one boat and another firend of ours was in his new green carp Triton boat. We got set up and listened to our friend talk about his stainless steel cateye like clip on head lamp. The fishing was slow and it was getting cold. Well Mike went to put his sweat shirt on and all I heard was a knock on the boat and the splash. All I then saw was the light sinking into the deep. Oh it was funny. Yep, would have rather had that cheap plastic one on the bottom of the lake than that $50 one.

we sat ther for another couple of hours and thn Mike stood up in his boat. I told him, be carefull, don't lay your rod on the deck there is no lip to catch it on tht front deck. Well no sooner said the words when all I saw was the handle going out of sight. Oh my gosh, I never laughed so hard in my life. Mike's son was in the boat and he wanted to laugh, but I think he was afraid his dad would throw him in the lake. after mike cooled down we all started laughing again when Mike said, " This is the most expensive panfish trip I have ever been on in my life, in fact I could have hired a guide for 2 days anywhere in the country for what I have in 8 fish. Lets see $50 headlamp, $175 rod, $85 reel, $11 minnows, $50 in gas for the boat." Then we all sat ther and laughed.

well Mike looked over at out boat and said Look at the crappie just under the lighs. His son tried a little jig, but he wouldn't stike so I said heck I can scoop him with a net. I grabbed the net scooped up the crappie. I couldn't believe it, when I reached to get him out of the net there was fishing line coming out of his mouth. I said Mike, your not going to belive this. Sure enough the fish had swam around the anchorline and Mike pulled his rod back up ever so slowly. I'll post some pics later.

So Friday we caught 9 slabs, very disapointing. But had a great time. Between the 2 Bass tournaments and boats blowing by at 50 yards sending th sunami on us, and the temps falling to record lows. we did alright. I have some Pics of Mississippi and some of the fish I will post tonight.
    Last edited by Beretta686; 05-20-2007 at 12:45 PM.
    If I was better I'd be twins

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Post Thanks / Like

That's some good luck! Me and my cousin was fishing from a dock once and had a stringer full of crappie and I went to put one on and dropped the stringer. It was too far down to grab in the water and it just drifted away under the dock. My cousins line had drifted under the dock and he went to pull it out and low and behold the stringer was hooked, so we got it back.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that's some GREAT luck there. ...and we all need a little of that kind of luck once in a while.

This season I have lost TWO ultra-lites in Lake Ouachita while trolling. Yes and no. One was in the rod holder and one was not. No such luck as your buddy.

But...my rods and reels were not nearly as expensive as your buddy's but still irritating nonetheless. <><

aj