Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnow Maintenance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow Maintenance

Minnows have become so expensive that I've started paying attention to keeping extras healthy between fishing trips. I keep tropical fish aquariums and simply apply some of that experience. Four factors are important: oxygen; clean water; temperature and food.
    OXYGEN is easy with a basic air pump, the kind with an air stone (bubbler) attached by a plastic tube. A small/cheap one will do for 3 or 4 dozen minnows in a 5 gallon bucket. Don't over crowd. A portable air pump works, but batteries get expensive. Weight down the air stone if it floats.
    CLEAN WATER can come from the tap if you use a commercial aquarium solution to remove clorine. StressCoat is a common brand, but all are about the same. Most recommend 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of new water. I don't measure; just squirt a few drops in before adding the tap water. Change 1/3 to 1/2 of the water every few days; more or less frequently according to how crowded and warm the bucket is.
    TEMPERATURE can be from near freezing to the mid-70's, just don't let it go up or down quickly. You change only 1/3 to 1/2 of the water at a time in order too avoid quick temperature moves. Use the cold water tap and your hand to make sure new water is not a lot warmer or colder than the old. In the South, unheated garage temperature is fine except for our rare spells below freezing and our hottest days. Cellar temperature should be ok anywhere.
    FOOD is the least important factor. If everything else is ok, minnows will live a long time with no added food. In fact, over feeding, which pollutes the water, is worse than not feeding at all. Add no more than a very little goldfish flake food once per day.
    An air pump (with airstone), declorinator and goldfish food (all small sizes) should cost about the same as a couple of buckets of minnows and should last more than one season..

Post Thanks / Like

donr,IVE FOUND OUT BY USIN BAIT SAVER AND KEEPING MY MINNOWS IN MY FRONT LIVEWELL,THEY SEEM TO LAST ALOT LONGER!KEEPING THEM IN THE DARK CAUSES THEM TO USE ALOT LESS OXYGEN.EVERY 2-3 DAYS I DRAIN PART OF THE WATER,ADD NEW SAVER,AND GIVE THEM A LITTLE GOLDFISH FOOD! NOW I BUY 5-6 DOZEN AT A TIME BECAUSE I KNOW THEY"LL KEEP!! GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 125 gallon stock tank sitting out side. With a pump in it. All the minnow's i have left over go into it.
    Also used to throw them in out pond. Did that for about 20 years. And now I'm catching some of the minnows out of it thats 8+" so I know they should be raising in there.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old galvonized wash tub I keep my leftover minnows in. In the early Spring, I don't need to use an air pump but when the temperature warms up, it is a must.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS BOWERS
    donr,IVE FOUND OUT BY USIN BAIT SAVER AND KEEPING MY MINNOWS IN MY FRONT LIVEWELL,THEY SEEM TO LAST ALOT LONGER!KEEPING THEM IN THE DARK CAUSES THEM TO USE ALOT LESS OXYGEN.EVERY 2-3 DAYS I DRAIN PART OF THE WATER,ADD NEW SAVER,AND GIVE THEM A LITTLE GOLDFISH FOOD! NOW I BUY 5-6 DOZEN AT A TIME BECAUSE I KNOW THEY"LL KEEP!! GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!
    Hey Dennis, if you are buying that many at a time, check with your supplier to see if they will sell them to you by the pound. It should end up being cheaper for you <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

rippa,im going to check that out..i just got a plastic 55 gal. drum that has been cleaned. it had organic soap in it--it should make a dandy holding tank with very little work!! thanks dennis

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When we go to the lake in the spring we buy 1000 minnows from a local minnow farm. They cost about $40.00. We keep them in a plastic 55 gal drum we rigged up with an aerator. Since we still have cool weather, its no problem. Its a whole lot cheaper than buying them over there. If more water is needed, I'm on well water at home and where we stay is on well water. So that isn't a problem.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Ibnfshn,have You Tried To Keep Them Their In Warmer Weather? I"ve Thought About Building A Box Around Mine Lined With Styrofoam Insulation.i Thought By Doing That-keeping It In The Shade,and And A Aerator I Might Be Able To Keep Them Year Round?????good Fishin To Ya Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb warmer weather..

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS BOWERS
    Ibnfshn,have You Tried To Keep Them Their In Warmer Weather? I"ve Thought About Building A Box Around Mine Lined With Styrofoam Insulation.i Thought By Doing That-keeping It In The Shade,and And A Aerator I Might Be Able To Keep Them Year Round?????good Fishin To Ya Dennis
    Haven't done it personally but read about it some..in summer freeze 2-liter or different size plastic bottles and use to cool water...or if on untreated water just add ice cubes not only cools water but releases oxygen as well..or better yet if you can get old refrig and rig tank inside using probe in water to cycle compressor on/off to desired temp...just thinking out loud on refrig part...
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

take a old aircondishoner and set it next to tank and put the cooling coin in the water and put the thermostat probe in the water with it.helped to set one up in a bait shop tank . it worked great for years . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast