Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Re-entry .... back into the world of Slab-seekers !

Kaptain K Guest

Default Re-entry .... back into the world of Slab-seekers !

Hello all !

I've been away for quite some time, due to injuries I sustained from a serious accident last autumn.

I've undergone a few surgeries, and countless hours of physical therapy over the past sevral months.

And, I'm here to say that I'M BACK !

I am a 46 year-old freelance outdoor writer, and have studied a number of fields related to fish culture, fish health and pathology, icthyology, and aquatic biology.

I will be posting new threads, writing lots of "how-to" information on Crappie fishing with plenty of timely tips, and responding to inquiries made by fellow crappie anglers here at the forum -- time permitting.

I'm still undergoing a busy regiment of physical therapy at the present time, so I'd like to ask that any respondants please be patient upon waiting for replies.

When it comes to crappie fishing, I am happy to help anyone who needs it.

I have over 30 years experience on the water, especially in regard to pan-fishing and crappie-fishing.

I typically spend about 8 to 10 days a month fishing, and a good deal of this time is spent crappie-fishing.

I fish mostly public waters, natural lakes and reservoirs, though I do fish private ponds on occasion.
    Most of my fishing trips take place in NYS-Region 7, but I do get to the southern tier and Finger Lakes a good bit, as well.

And, like the rest of you folks, there's nothing I enjoy more than going out and spending a day on the water, in search of America's favorite panfish --
    calicos, papermouths, sac-au-laits, strawberries .... whatever you call 'em,
    crappies are king !

My first crappie excursion of the year (since my "unfortunate incident"), will be an all-day affair out on one of the Finger Lakes.

In fact, that excursion date is .... tomorrow !

So, I'd better get ready ..... gotta get my gear in order, re-spool reels, tie some new jigs (yup, I tie a lot of my own custom crappie jigs) ....charge-up the boat batteries, etc, etc.

I'll try to remember to give you all a full report on the crappie action.

Until then, best of luck to all of you fellow slab-seekers out there !

Kap'n K

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back!!!!
    Glad to hear you're well along the road to recovery.

Good luck this weekend, post some good pics and some great details!

Joe

Kaptain K Guest

Default Thanks Joe !

Hey Joe !

Thanks for the welcome-back wishes ! It's been a long, difficult road
    to recovery -- to say the least -- with more P/T to go.

Sorry to report the fact that we didn't get out today, as planned.

What a drag ! The guy I was supposed to go to Otisco Lake with
    came down with an illness at the last hour -- he has kids, and it seems like those little rugrats are forever bringing flu-like "bugs" home with them from the day-care center.
    (If you have kids, you probably know what I mean !)

Anyhow, it looks like I'll have to wait 'till next week now, before I can get out on the water and chase down some slabbers ..... ughhh !!

Well .... gotta run.

Tight lines, my friend !

Catch you in a week or so -- hopefully, with better news !

Kap'n K

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finger Lakes

Hey Kaptain,
    What Finger Lakes have crappie? I am going to be at Keuka for 6 weeks starting the 1st of June. Do not think it has any. I mainly fish for the yellow perch when I am there. Sorry you did not get out as planned but as you say things come up. Thanks.
    Go Navy

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kaptian,
    I know we havn't met, but would like to get together sometime and wet a line. I am also in Syracuse, although brand new to the area. Have only found Onieda and chomping at the bit to get out there and try to get a few in the boat. but been waiting on better weather. Anytime you want to get out on the water, drop a PM or an email and will see what we can do. I also have a boat and ready to get it wet.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schief79
    Hey Kaptain,
    What Finger Lakes have crappie? I am going to be at Keuka for 6 weeks starting the 1st of June. Do not think it has any. I mainly fish for the yellow perch when I am there. Sorry you did not get out as planned but as you say things come up. Thanks.
    Keuka has crappie, and some of them are pretty big. I grew up fishing the head of the lake at the Branchport end.

PM me with what part of the lake you'll be staying at (H-port, B-Port, PY, or East/West side of Bluff point). I'll tell you what I know about that part of the lake. If you have a boat that will take you anyplace on the lake, I'll fill you in on my favorite spots on the Branchport head of the lake. I don't get down there fishing anymore, so I don't mind sharing some of my hot spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kaptain,

I hear you about kids bringing home germs!!!! Sorry you didn't get out, hope next weekend works out for you. I've been having trouble finding free time to get out this spring too. Here's some good news for you... The females we caught yesterday had lots of eggs and the males were BLACK... Telling me that they're still spawning - at least in the small lakes around Cato.

They were hitting our jigs very aggressively - hooksets deep in their mouths, almost to the gills (a couple actually took them so aggressively that they WERE gill-hooked). I hope they keep up for another week or two so you can get into some.