Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logbook people

Post Thanks / Like

Default Logbook people

There are times when the fish are definitely biting. There are times when they are definitely not biting. Sometimes they start biting at a distinct time. It happens with bass and catfish especially. If fish in different parts of the lake are acting in unison there has to be some kind of external signal or sigh. I’m looking through my logbook and I can’t find any kind of correlation. Weather and moon phases have unpredictable results. Has anyone with a logbook found any kind of correlation of any kind?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been keeping a log for about 10 years now and the only thing I've noticed is when the barometer is falling, the bite is off. Of course there are exceptions and I know a lot of people will dispute that statement, But, let the records show----.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning to start keeping a log this year, if I ever get time to fish

What all should I record in a fishing log?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

you should record time, conditions (sunny, with overcast. cloudy ect) water temp, air temp, lure used, and how you worked the lure. what type of structure you caught the fish off of. i also like to record what is near where the fish was caught. like near a dropoff,or on a shallow flat(which is very common in spawning time)

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a fish barometer in my boat and the past couple of times out I have watched it closely. The barometer has two needles, one to show the pressure and another that tells whether it's rising or falling. This may all be just coincidental, but I've started to put a lot of stock into this thing.

The arrow also corresponds with a reading of poor, or good to indicate what the fishing should be like. The past two times out the reading showed good and the pressure was steady for a while then a slight rise. By mid-day the pressure started to drop and soon the reading was poor. The fishing on these days corresponded exactly with the Barometer. Started out catching fish very well up until mid-morning, then the bite slowed as the barometer started to drop and once it bottomed out the bite had all but stopped.

I'm recording the date, times I fished, barometer, moon phase and water and air temp. It will interesting to see if a pattern emerges from this or not.

Regardless of whether there is any pattern to develop, I still will go fishing whenver I get the chance regardless of what's going on. Fishing is still fishing, whether your catching them or not.

Post Thanks / Like

That barometer in you boat sounds neat. Where did you get it? And if you don't mind, how much did it cost?

I've been keeping a log, don't know that I've established any patterns, but it is interesting to go back and look at what you've done.

I would be more than happy to e-mail a copy of my original log that I have developed, just send me a PM with your e-mail. I would post it on here if someone could help me with that!!! It is simple and I keep it on Microsoft Word. I keep the following info: date, weather, water temp, time majority caught, water clarity, structure, lure/color, # of keepers, # of fish caught, # of people fishing. After reading the other post I think I will ad a few more things.
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota actually makes it....I got mine from Richard Williams 1weezer on the site. You may check with him to see if he still has any. If not try finding one on-line. Sorry, don't know about the price my wife bought it for me through Richard for a christmas present.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4
    I'm planning to start keeping a log this year, if I ever get time to fish

What all should I record in a fishing log?

Joe
    You and me both. My log book would say....went to work, went to work, went to work, cut the grass, cut the grass, had time to go fish, but the weather was terrible, etc., etc., etc.

shuorc is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw the barometer in Wally world. Have tried off and on to keep water temp records in spring. none caught in the 50s seem to bed about 61 to 65.
    None ever caught without a hook in the water.--shu
    <*(((((><

Post Thanks / Like

I can recall several times throughout my fishing life when the bite abruptly started or ended. Everything from sharks to catfish exhibits this behavior. Seems they have some kind of clock or sensor. The fish in the bass pro shop aquarium know when its Saturday morning 10 o’clock. That’s feeding time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast