Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: yo yos

Post Thanks / Like

Default yo yos

I know its not really a crappie related question but you guys seem to be pretty informative so here it goes.Will yo yos hold a fish of any size? Ive got a strip pit with the largest fish ive caught being 15lbs (channel cat), do you think they would hold up or no?
    Its all about how ya wiggle it!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taylmatr
    I know its not really a crappie related question but you guys seem to be pretty informative so here it goes.Will yo yos hold a fish of any size? Ive got a strip pit with the largest fish ive caught being 15lbs (channel cat), do you think they would hold up or no?
    Lots of folks here use yo yos. They tie them on tree branches along the banks near where I live/stays. They must work pretty good. I see catfish dangling from the tree branches every once in a while. Funny as hell to see a catfish flopping in a tree.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

a good yo yo will hold about any size fish as long as the limb and line holds true. It just wears them down with constant tension till they give out.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are wanting to know what the biggest size fish that we know of that has been caught on a yo yo, I have a friend of mine whos son went a few weeks ago to a lake near here that is popular for having nice sized flathead catfish.
    He tied the yoyo's to a large but flexible limb and he boated a whopping 80 pound flathead off of a yoyo.
    The yoyo will only give so much before the string will break, but if it is tied to something that can take some of the shock, I would think you could catch lots of big fish on them, The difference with the yoyo is that it pulls back when the fish pulls.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

thats what i wanted to hear. i just thought they'd be better than limb lines cause they set the hook and easier to take up and down. just wasnt sure if a biggun would demolish them. We used to use them for crappie when i was a kid and they worked pretty well.
    Its all about how ya wiggle it!

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole that me struck me funny "catfish in trees". Do you need a dog as well? HA. I need to try mine for cats. just haven't yet. Usually use trotlines or poles.

TT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taylmatr

Not if I or a few other people with the same opinion of yo yo's see them unattended. Nothing will frost my posterior more than seeing fish hanging out of the water on these things for hours. I have seen very few incidents where I thought the fisherman was using them in a responsible way.
    If you do run them regular, and don't abuse any creel limits, good for you.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I've used these before and mine never had the power to hoist a fish up to the yo-yo (i.e. into a tree) itself. You want the fish to remain alive after it is caught. If people re-set the spring tension of the yo-yo, they may have to much pull-back for their own good. Any fish caught that is abandoned due to laziness is something we should all report to Fish and Game.

Post Thanks / Like

OK... this might seem like I've lived under a rock all my life, but what the heck is a Yo-yo? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the Duncan Yo-yo company.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast