PDA

View Full Version : yo yos

taylmatr
05-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I know its not really a crappie related question but you guys seem to be pretty informative so here it goes.Will yo yos hold a fish of any size? Ive got a strip pit with the largest fish ive caught being 15lbs (channel cat), do you think they would hold up or no?

Cane Pole
05-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I know its not really a crappie related question but you guys seem to be pretty informative so here it goes.Will yo yos hold a fish of any size? Ive got a strip pit with the largest fish ive caught being 15lbs (channel cat), do you think they would hold up or no?

Lots of folks here use yo yos. They tie them on tree branches along the banks near where I live/stays. They must work pretty good. I see catfish dangling from the tree branches every once in a while. Funny as hell to see a catfish flopping in a tree.

zebkedic
05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
a good yo yo will hold about any size fish as long as the limb and line holds true. It just wears them down with constant tension till they give out.

jlaughlin72
05-16-2007, 09:06 PM
If you are wanting to know what the biggest size fish that we know of that has been caught on a yo yo, I have a friend of mine whos son went a few weeks ago to a lake near here that is popular for having nice sized flathead catfish.
He tied the yoyo's to a large but flexible limb and he boated a whopping 80 pound flathead off of a yoyo.
The yoyo will only give so much before the string will break, but if it is tied to something that can take some of the shock, I would think you could catch lots of big fish on them, The difference with the yoyo is that it pulls back when the fish pulls.

taylmatr
05-16-2007, 10:00 PM
thats what i wanted to hear. i just thought they'd be better than limb lines cause they set the hook and easier to take up and down. just wasnt sure if a biggun would demolish them. We used to use them for crappie when i was a kid and they worked pretty well.

Timmy Tom
05-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Cane Pole that me struck me funny "catfish in trees". Do you need a dog as well? HA. I need to try mine for cats. just haven't yet. Usually use trotlines or poles.

TT

DRPEPPER
05-17-2007, 07:20 AM

Not if I or a few other people with the same opinion of yo yo's see them unattended. Nothing will frost my posterior more than seeing fish hanging out of the water on these things for hours. I have seen very few incidents where I thought the fisherman was using them in a responsible way.
If you do run them regular, and don't abuse any creel limits, good for you.
DP

TwainGang
05-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I've used these before and mine never had the power to hoist a fish up to the yo-yo (i.e. into a tree) itself. You want the fish to remain alive after it is caught. If people re-set the spring tension of the yo-yo, they may have to much pull-back for their own good. Any fish caught that is abandoned due to laziness is something we should all report to Fish and Game.

joejv4
05-17-2007, 12:03 PM
OK... this might seem like I've lived under a rock all my life, but what the heck is a Yo-yo? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the Duncan Yo-yo company.

ejones1961
05-17-2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.rockingaltd.com/mfish.html

joejv4
05-17-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.rockingaltd.com/mfish.html

Thanks for the link - neat little gadget. Not sure if they're legal in NY - will have to look into it. I'd think they would work good for bullhead too.

FishnLine
05-17-2007, 12:41 PM
OK... this might seem like I've lived under a rock all my life, but what the heck is a Yo-yo? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the Duncan Yo-yo company.

I'm glad you asked. I was racking my brain trying to figure it out.

taylmatr
05-17-2007, 05:35 PM
In oklahoma you have to check them every 6hrs legally. I only set them if im gonna be at the lake and they usually never go more than 2hrs between checkings. Theres no way one of these little things could hoist a fish outta the water the spring has very light tension until the string gets about 8ft out then the spring compresses and so does the tension, bit until that piont a 6 ounce wieght will pull the string down.

roh1961
05-17-2007, 05:58 PM
They are illegal in Texas

billhaik
05-17-2007, 06:11 PM
I wish they were illegal in Mississippi, at least for crappie. It is a sick feeling indeed, at least to me, to look down through the trees and see a bunch of crappie in the air dead and stiff. I HATE YOYOS.

Cane Pole
05-17-2007, 06:56 PM
In oklahoma you have to check them every 6hrs legally. I only set them if im gonna be at the lake and they usually never go more than 2hrs between checkings. Theres no way one of these little things could hoist a fish outta the water the spring has very light tension until the string gets about 8ft out then the spring compresses and so does the tension, bit until that piont a 6 ounce wieght will pull the string down.

Now you wouldn't accuse me of exaggerating or bending the "truth" a little would you?

You musta read and followed the directions on the yoyo box.

I read directions on my Sugar Pops box. They never popped. Scrubbing bubbles never cleaned my toilet either.

Short line yoyos yank! I don't use them but I got some prob 30-40 years old.

willsjwills
05-17-2007, 07:23 PM
seen a bunch of sun dried fish on a yo-yo.

taylmatr
05-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Well let me put it this way if rigged right and not modified to do so a yo yo will not pull a fish outta the water. Used to use them all the time as a kid for crappie and never had them pull outta the water. Dont crappie fish with them now, just doesnt do it for me like rod and reel, but to put catfish on the table im all for it. If someone is rigging them so tight that they would pull a fish outta the water, I totally agree with you it would be very unethical.

zebkedic
05-17-2007, 07:41 PM
well, it might depend on the yo yo you buy, but the ones we use will put the head of a 2 lb catfish up out of the water. Smaller catfish than that will be 2/3 out of the water.

blairarnold
05-17-2007, 07:42 PM
If the fish is small enough, I guarantee you that yoyo's will pull them out of the water. I have seen it a number of times. Also, turtles will eat even a very good fish if it is on a yoyo long enough.

bobberwatcher
05-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Never cared much for yo-yo's myself. Alot of people here in Ar love em. I had rather feel the thump!

longliner
05-18-2007, 06:56 AM
I've never used yo-yos but I have limbline fish since I was alittle boy. My grandad always went and he taught me. I can tell you that a catfish will roll and twist the line until they come out of the water because of that however, if a person uses a barrel swivel on each line and CHECK THEM AND DON'T LEAVE THEM UNATTENDED they are a blast on catfish. I really don't see using them on crappie but thats just my 2 cents worth.

CrappiePappy
05-18-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm glad you asked. I was racking my brain trying to figure it out.

Here's some "yo-yo's" (auto reels) :

http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/7b/87/758c_2.JPG

Basically just a spring loaded spool with a trip trigger.
Cabela's has the metal ones & plastic ones ... about $9 ea. This picture was copied off Ebay ... and the whole bunch is Buy It Now priced at $10 ;)

..... cp :cool:

FishnLine
05-18-2007, 07:50 AM
I've been fishing a long time and I've never heard of them. I used limb lines for catfish, but never for crappie. Here in SC I know it wouldn't be legal for game fish.

creekslick
05-18-2007, 08:10 AM
I've been fishing a long time and I've never heard of them. I used limb lines for catfish, but never for crappie. Here in SC I know it wouldn't be legal for game fish.
If they are illegal be thankful. They are one of the reasons I started spider-rigging. During the spring here every buck bush along the edge of the oxbows around here have one of those dang thing hanging from them. If that is not enough they place bamboo in the middle of the lake and hang them there.:mad:

zebkedic
05-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Just another catfish creation. Started as an improvement to limb line fishing. Comparable to trot lines, or jug fishing. Like anything, it can be abused, but if properly looked after, can be great fishing fun for family and kids.

blairarnold
05-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm with Bobberwatcher and Creekslick on this one. Yoyoers have ruined the fishing in a number of lakes I know of. It somewhat depends on how big the lake is and how much yoyoing is done, but a smaller size lake can be decimated, particularly of the better size crappie. I understand the lakes in the Hurricane Lake Wildlife Management area have been really hit hard and that the regular fishing has really suffered for example.

If the people are fishing with nightcrawlers, stink bait, livers, bream, or other catfish bait, there's not a problem. However if they are using minnows, they can flat wear the crappie and bass out, and unfortunately a number of people who do this have little regard for limits. I know of 2 guys that hit a private oxbow lake of about 80 -100 acres near here that caught and kept 500 crappie in one weekend, and there were dozens of people hitting that lake as hard as they could. The landowner finally locked it up, but it still took 2 or 3 years for the fishing to recover.

zebkedic
05-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Agreed guys. That is unfortunate. I've never seen folks using them for crappie, but that is pretty crazy. Most folks I know use them for Catfish, as you say, using worms, livers, or stink bait.

doghead82
05-18-2007, 12:22 PM
We have a private lake here and some kids that live nearby were slipping in and running yo yo's. I got tired of all the dead crappie on the things so I called the Game and Fish Dept here and turned them in. Have not seen any dead crappie since.

joejv4
05-18-2007, 12:54 PM
From NY DEC website - definitions section of fishing regs:

Angling means taking fish by hook and line. This includes bait and fly fishing, casting, trolling and the use of landing nets to complete the catch. Anglers must be in immediate attendance when their lines are in the water. An angler may operate no more than two lines with or without a rod, and each line is limited to not more than five lures or baits or a combination of both, and in addition, each line shall have not exceeding fifteen hook points in any combination of single, double, or treble hooks, provided the total number of hook points does not exceed fifteen. Snatching, lifting, hooking and the use of tip-ups are not angling.

So.. to me it looks like, you could probably use as many as two, provided you don't leave them unattended. Possibly one hanging from the side of the boat while you fish with a rod on the other side.

Using them the way most folks use them (set out 10 or more and make the rounds checking them) would be illegal in NY.

creekslick
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Here in Arkansas you can legally have 30 per person and are supposed to stay within sight or sound but very few do either one.

JSM
05-18-2007, 01:56 PM
i`ve never heard of people using yo yo`s for crappie. i`ve been using them for catfish for years.