Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shenango

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Shenango

Mrs S10Chevy and I went with Mr & Mrs Parivercat tonight on their pontoon boat. We brought home 15 keepers and threw lots of others back. The lake is supposedly now at its summer fill level. We were fishing in 12 to 15 foot of water, and the fish were between 4 and 6 feet deep. Chartruese, white and a red tube with chartruese on it seemed to be the ticket with minnows. Keep your lines wet. Keith

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished shenango on sunday and also did very well. I kept 23 crappies and 4 bluegills. Most of the crappies were 9 to 10 1/2" and the gills were 8". I was fishing in 21', 9ft deep, over stumps. Best bait was chartreuse tube on a 1/16 oz plain jighead, tipped with a crappie nibble. Could have kept a lot more but had all i wanted to clean. Threw back at least 30 more, same size. Also used red/white tube, chartreuse twister tail, red green tube, yellow twister, white twister, purple/white tube, and blue/white tube. The gills should be moving in to spawn this week, so check the shallows for them. I wont get out again till this weekend. If you go, let us know what's goin on. Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

I hit it today also, didn't bring home any keepers but did get 2 sub legal muskies trolling hot n tots while fishing for walleyes, one of them tore-up my fingers when they accidentally got caught in it's mouth, sure hurts like h--l. Also caught 9 crappies and 2 largemouth. Quite a few guys out fishing today. Water still has that brown color but it's starting to clear up.

Post Thanks / Like

Between the neighbor and I, one of us will let you know, when we go, how we did. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Cool shenango

we went fishing tonight with oldest son (3) year old grandaughter. caught
    25 crappie & most were 6-7" but kept (4) 2-12" & 2-13"! we used hair jigs with minnows & the rest used bobbers with minnows!
    happy fishing!
    HAPPY FISHIN Y'ALL

Post Thanks / Like

It's the weekend baby............ time to hit the water and relax. Tough work week but i made it thru. Hey Keith, how'd you do the other day? I see the CAT family did great earlier in the week. I guess i'll get my grandson out there this weekend too. If i can find em, he'll hammer em, and i'll have to clean some for him and his mom or he'll fish my freezer again. Hope everybody has a safe and productive weekend fishing. Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc
    It's the weekend baby............ time to hit the water and relax. Tough work week but i made it thru. Hey Keith, how'd you do the other day? I see the CAT family did great earlier in the week. I guess i'll get my grandson out there this weekend too. If i can find em, he'll hammer em, and i'll have to clean some for him and his mom or he'll fish my freezer again. Hope everybody has a safe and productive weekend fishing. Smitty
    I hear you about work. Am working 7 days a week right now myself, so it cuts into many things, but while it's there, to make extra money, just can't afford to turn it down. Haven't been fishing since Monday night. We were talking the other night, about the two things it takes for the crappie to spawn. One is water temperature, and the other being the full moon. But it can trigger them as much as 3 days prior, to 3 days after.

I am looking at my In-Fisherman magazine, and starting this next Monday thru Sunday will be the time we should all be at the lakes, cause the spawn should begin. Thursday the 17th, will be the best day of them all, to catch them slabbers. So I suggest everyone prepare themselves, and their equipment for some great fishing. Keep your lines wet. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Keith, i took a buddy from Va. out wednesday morning for a few hours. The water was clearing up as we were fishing. We kept about 35 crappies that were 10" and better and 15 really nice gills around 8". We fished water 15ft deep, 8ft down, above brush. Got most on a yellow jig and some on a chartreuse. They wouldn't touch our medium minnows. Maybe should have got the small ones. He cleaned the fish, packed em up, and took them home to Va. Next spring i'm going down his way and do some bass fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc
    Keith, i took a buddy from Va. out wednesday morning for a few hours. The water was clearing up as we were fishing. We kept about 35 crappies that were 10" and better and 15 really nice gills around 8". We fished water 15ft deep, 8ft down, above brush. Got most on a yellow jig and some on a chartreuse. They wouldn't touch our medium minnows. Maybe should have got the small ones. He cleaned the fish, packed em up, and took them home to Va. Next spring i'm going down his way and do some bass fishing.
    Good going, we got skunked Tuesday night. Need to fix a patch on the boat and get out there. Been working way too much, and not enjoying one of the things I love to do. Hopefully, I will have July 1st thru 5th off, and can be on the lake part of the time. Maybe some of us, from on the Pa board can get together some time, to fish and chat and meet each other. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe all the guys can meet in one area on the 4th and introduce ourselves to each other. Thats the only day i'll have off but if you guys can get together sooner, i'll catch up later. I had an outstanding weekend of fishing at Shenango. Saturday i kept 21 crappies that were 9" to 12"s and kept 19 bluegills from 7 to 9"s. Cleaned em and packed away for the fry this week. Went back to the same area today, with my flyrod, and did some serious gillin. Got 17 keepers 8-9", and threw back quite a few smaller ones. Also got 10 slabs on a blk/ chartreuse triple ripple grub tipped with a waxworm. If the jig wasn't tipped they wouldn't touch it. Didn't have any maggots but i'd bet they'll work just as good. I used a black ant to get the gills today. Tipped it with some waxworms and they were hammerin it. I was fishing on a drop from 8-12ft, with wood right on the edge. Some fish were right in the wood and others were suspended just out from the drop, down 7 to 8ft. Oh yeah,,,, i had my Aqua Vu with me today. That's how i found the suspended fish. Water was pretty clear down near the bottom and gave me a really good picture of the fish in the brush. Lots of gills and perch showed up. As i was bringing it up i spotted the crappies. Man was that beautiful. It's in black and white but it was still pretty. They were just hovering there, not moving much at all. I have an older model with the long box you look into so i coudn't fish and watch it at the same time. Pretty good weekend for me if i must say.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast