Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding sent to twisters and making them last longer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding sent to twisters and making them last longer

I am thinking about adding sent to my twisters. The reason is that when I buy Berkley power baits (twisters) for my jigs they don’t last very long when bass, bluegill, perch and crappie smack the tail. They rip easy.

So I would like your advice on adding the smell to some stronger twisters. Could I make a sent that is as good as crappie nibbles? Man I love them. I use the bait pump for my tube jigs but I would like better twister options.

Thanks for your ideas and help in advance,

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    I am thinking about adding sent to my twisters. The reason is that when I buy Berkley power baits (twisters) for my jigs they don’t last very long when bass, bluegill, perch and crappie smack the tail. They rip easy.

So I would like your advice on adding the smell to some stronger twisters. Could I make a sent that is as good as crappie nibbles? Man I love them. I use the bait pump for my tube jigs but I would like better twister options.

D
    Just get some of that stuff they make the X baits out of as you can pull that stuff and stretch a worn to arms length without it breaking.

I can't believe that stuff, but only 2 mfg's as far as I know.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BigD]I am thinking about adding sent to my twisters. The reason is that when I buy Berkley power baits (twisters) for my jigs they don’t last very long when bass, bluegill, perch and crappie smack the tail. They rip easy.

I have not used it in freshwater but it is pretty good in salt, maybe the shrimp scent one would be good, if I remember right they are pretty tough.

http://www.fishbites.com/Products.php
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck with the "Gamefish" flavor scent attractor from Spikeit in chartruse. Bass fishermen use it to add flavor to worms. It's not as good as crappie niblets but it's better than an unscented jig.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the Power Baits, here's something you might try: add Alum to the soft plastics several days before you use them. It's an ingredient found in every grocery store. I think it's used for pickeling/canning or something like that. It doesn't have much scent to it, so it won't mess up Berkley's scent. But with time, it toughens up anything you put it on. I use it on baits that I normally have trouble keeping on the hook. I started using it on liver when catfishing, and now I use it on several different baits. Anyway, just a thought.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

BigD here's what I use to do before they started putting scent in the plastic.

I put the scent in a zip lock bag along with the plastic. I tried to do this at least a couple of days before I was planning on using it so that the scent would get absorbed into the plastic better.

This was back in the days when Mr Twister was about the only grub being produced.

BB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice guy's, and I will try some of this. A guy at GanderMtn told me to use super glue to fasten the twister head to the jig head. It works great!

We cought 62 fish today, 33 over 12-inches and the glue made a big difference. My bait lasted for 3 times the fish.

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    Thanks for all the advice guy's, and I will try some of this. A guy at GanderMtn told me to use super glue to fasten the twister head to the jig head. It works great!

We cought 62 fish today, 33 over 12-inches and the glue made a big difference. My bait lasted for 3 times the fish.

D
    that is great.
    So ziploc your plastic with scent sprayed on them & superglue.
    Thanks great, sounds like a plan.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

I use gulp maggots. They are tough and about the size of a crappie nibble. Oh yea they work tooo.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I also place my plastic tubes in a zip lock bags about a week before I go fishing. Then I add my own secret "formula"

My formula is an absolute knockout for Crappie and other species of Pan Fish. Bass, Bream, Perch, Pike, Walleye, Trout they all love it. I make my own version by mixing peanut oil, garlic salt, anise, fish meal, dried blood worms, dried chicken liver, dried tubiflex worms, and vanilla. I'm not telling you the exact amounts because someone will try to duplicate it and market it.

Any heat it a little until all ingredients are liquified. Let it cool and store in a small bottle or two. When you go fishing put some in the plastic bag and let the scent get into the plastic real good.

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

When the fish smells it they say "YIPPEE" old ship is here. It is an honor to grab this bait because I know he won't throw me back. He is taking me home to Lake Crisco"

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast