Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: TROUBLE!! Need info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default TROUBLE!! Need info.

My 1995 150hp Johnson burned a wire. It is the red wire that runs from the bottom of the starter to this little flat box on top of the moter behind the flywheel. Has something to do with the charging of the battery and the tacometer. No hurry to get it fixed, just want to know what it is and what all I need to have replaced and approximate cost. Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like you voltage regulator took a dump.Basically all it does it send a signal to the Tach and control the charging of your battery.

I just looked it up and depending on your model of engine, the 95 150 had a rectifier/regulator in one, amd theyre alittle pricey 272.00.PJ
    Last edited by prchjerker; 05-15-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i had the same motor till i switch to mercury it gave me a lot of elect problems the main thing i learned about it was to make sure the battery connections is real tight not just hand tight that what a good johnson machanic in hot springs ark told me about that motor

Post Thanks / Like

it is indeed your regulator/rectifier...if it burt a wire you more than likely have a stator problem..you need to have the stator checked before you put a rectifier on it and pop it again..it will be a very pricey repair...$500+ range for both components...good luck..
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check here for parts. Sierra is cheaper and better than OEM plus an excellent guarantee. I just ordered a rectifier/regulator for my motor. $150 at the dealer and $100 here. http://www.go2marine.com/index.jsp
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If you need some technical advice, I've found this site real helpful in the past.
    http://www.themarinedoctor.com/
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info guys, this is a great site!! Talked to a mechanic. He said it was the regulator and that I should replace the stater as well and it would cost around 750 bucks. Is there a way to test the stater to see if it is still ok?? Just trying to make sure that I don't get taken to the cleaners on this one. He did tell me I may have no problem with the stater but if I don't go ahead and change it I stand a good chance of causing more serious damage pretty soon. Kinda made it sound like something I should go ahead and do, but also sounded like he is just trying to make more money. Another mechanic said it was the rectifier and that he would have to check it over to see if that was all I needed. I know this mechanic and do not trust him because I have had things done before only to find that he should have done something else that he didn't do and I had more trouble. Also, caught him chargeing me for new part when he used a used part. Know he did it cus I confronted him and he gave me a refund. Don't know what to do. Got a baby on the way and can't afford to fix it much less get screwed over. Think I am gonna just park it till next spring. I sure hate to have to wait that long to go fishin again!
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beenfishin?
    thanks for the info guys, this is a great site!! Talked to a mechanic. He said it was the regulator and that I should replace the stater as well and it would cost around 750 bucks. Is there a way to test the stater to see if it is still ok?? Just trying to make sure that I don't get taken to the cleaners on this one. He did tell me I may have no problem with the stater but if I don't go ahead and change it I stand a good chance of causing more serious damage pretty soon. Kinda made it sound like something I should go ahead and do, but also sounded like he is just trying to make more money. Another mechanic said it was the rectifier and that he would have to check it over to see if that was all I needed. I know this mechanic and do not trust him because I have had things done before only to find that he should have done something else that he didn't do and I had more trouble. Also, caught him chargeing me for new part when he used a used part. Know he did it cus I confronted him and he gave me a refund. Don't know what to do. Got a baby on the way and can't afford to fix it much less get screwed over. Think I am gonna just park it till next spring. I sure hate to have to wait that long to go fishin again!

Yes. If you have a manual, there is a procedure in the manual for testing the stator. It can be done with an ohmmeter.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"