PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in windy/choppy waters ?

kyron4
05-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Went out on the lake today, water was very chooppy and wind was 10-15mph. It was all I could do to keep my 10' jon anchored in one spot. Caught 5 crappie in 1 1/2 hours :( . Is it better to wait for a calmer day to fish or is there a trick to fishing in windy conditions ? -thanks

badbrad
05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, if your like me and you wait for your work schedule and the winds to cooperate, then you'd never get to go fishing. I used to fish from a 14' Jon boat. The wind is especially tough to deal with in a small boat. I used to try to get out of the wind, but learned that the fish don't mind it at all. You might try using a drift sock and drift with the wind. The only other option is to face the wind and troll right into it. Fishing in the wind is sometimes a hassle, but I'd rather go and fight it then not go at all.

Joe Hook
05-14-2007, 09:24 PM
...and I was staring at a computer wishing I was. A longer anchor line out might help it hold a little bit better. Look for the mouth of a creek with any kind of wind break. Just like on calm days, if they aren't biting fast enough where you are, try another spot. Good luck!

FishnLine
05-15-2007, 07:50 AM
I've had some really good day's in the wind casting a jig. I used my trolling motor the whole time, but it was rough. I fish out of a 15ft jon boat.

TapOut64
05-15-2007, 11:40 AM
I used to anchor and fish all the time (just like my Dad) but have switched over to spider rigging with Capps & Coleman rigs and am now catching far more crappie while covering a lot more water while at the same time learning the lake a lot better. I'm fishing out of a 14' jon boat. I know when the wind is strong I generally try to get out of it or I'll put the bow into it and use my trolling motor. If you're commited to anchoring sounds like a bigger better anchor should help, what are you currently using?

Cane Pole
05-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Whatever you do in choppy waters in your Jon, don't short line your anchor. I believe (can't remember) it is recommended to use 3 times the length anchor rope as the depth water. Short lining will sink a Jon. I know. Do not anchor front and rear of Jon. This sinks Jon boats. I know this too. I am experienced in these matters. you might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later it will bite ya.

Tom

Cane Pole
05-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Never tie your Jon up with transom facing lake. This also sinks Jons. I know this too.

FishnLine
05-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Never tie your Jon up with transom facing lake. This also sinks Jons. I know this too.

LOL. How many times did you learn this lesson?

kc outdoorsman
05-15-2007, 02:27 PM
in most cases when fishign for most fish -if its windy fish the banks with wind blowing in on them. They will always be better than the "flat" bank

Buffy
05-15-2007, 03:47 PM
He's not learning lessons, he is making fish habitat....
I don't mind wind, I've learned to troll very well from my little 'yak, but today! Grrr first one way the another, the still, then gust from a new direction. Front coming through, caught one miniscule little bass. He did do a pretty dance, told him to practice and come back in about 6 or 7 lbs.
At least the power came back on.

FishnLine
05-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Good point Buffy! He's just putting out some condos.

Cane Pole
05-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I ain't sank it in 15 years! I got it up from its watery grave using a trailer winch, rope and truck inner tubes. Long story here. Boat moves pretty easy under water. It is when the boat starts coming out of the water ( on bank) when it get hard. It is hard to move a boat full of water up a bank. It just keeps filling up with water, especially if there is some wind or water traffic. I know this too....

crappie cowboy
05-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Cane Pole, Hehe, You are a mess, you make me laught alot, everything has
happen to you...........sorry I know it wasn't funny to you, but the way you tell the story is...hehe.

spider rig man

ShilohRed
05-15-2007, 07:35 PM
I ain't sank it in 15 years! I got it up from its watery grave using a trailer winch, rope and truck inner tubes. Long story here. Boat moves pretty easy under water. It is when the boat starts coming out of the water ( on bank) when it get hard. It is hard to move a boat full of water up a bank. It just keeps filling up with water, especially if there is some wind or water traffic. I know this too....

Tom I think we had the same teacher. LOL
Pete

Treefish
05-15-2007, 07:39 PM
In windy high wave conditions about the only thing other than anchoring is finding a channel or more protected area and long line troll. At least you are moving and cutting the waves. Might need to up your jighead size but the waves will help you decide that.

Buffy
05-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I made some habitat, took my little boat out on that pond, found a nice sheltered cove, decided just to tie up to a little tree. Wouldn't you think I would notice if it was dead? It had leaves on it. I was playing with my sinking fly line, just enjoying the last of the day, noticed I was moving... I think the bank just gave out. I know where I untied it, so I am hoping the fish will find it. Enough with the wind already!

joejv4
05-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Cane Pole - thanks buddy, for learning those lessons FOR us!!!!
Sounds like you learned them the hard way. With any luck, folks will take your advice and not have to learn those lessons the hard way for themselves!