Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing in windy/choppy waters ?

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Fishing in windy/choppy waters ?

Went out on the lake today, water was very chooppy and wind was 10-15mph. It was all I could do to keep my 10' jon anchored in one spot. Caught 5 crappie in 1 1/2 hours . Is it better to wait for a calmer day to fish or is there a trick to fishing in windy conditions ? -thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if your like me and you wait for your work schedule and the winds to cooperate, then you'd never get to go fishing. I used to fish from a 14' Jon boat. The wind is especially tough to deal with in a small boat. I used to try to get out of the wind, but learned that the fish don't mind it at all. You might try using a drift sock and drift with the wind. The only other option is to face the wind and troll right into it. Fishing in the wind is sometimes a hassle, but I'd rather go and fight it then not go at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Default But you were fishing!!!

...and I was staring at a computer wishing I was. A longer anchor line out might help it hold a little bit better. Look for the mouth of a creek with any kind of wind break. Just like on calm days, if they aren't biting fast enough where you are, try another spot. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I've had some really good day's in the wind casting a jig. I used my trolling motor the whole time, but it was rough. I fish out of a 15ft jon boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to anchor and fish all the time (just like my Dad) but have switched over to spider rigging with Capps & Coleman rigs and am now catching far more crappie while covering a lot more water while at the same time learning the lake a lot better. I'm fishing out of a 14' jon boat. I know when the wind is strong I generally try to get out of it or I'll put the bow into it and use my trolling motor. If you're commited to anchoring sounds like a bigger better anchor should help, what are you currently using?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do in choppy waters in your Jon, don't short line your anchor. I believe (can't remember) it is recommended to use 3 times the length anchor rope as the depth water. Short lining will sink a Jon. I know. Do not anchor front and rear of Jon. This sinks Jon boats. I know this too. I am experienced in these matters. you might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later it will bite ya.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Forgot this

Never tie your Jon up with transom facing lake. This also sinks Jons. I know this too.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Never tie your Jon up with transom facing lake. This also sinks Jons. I know this too.
    LOL. How many times did you learn this lesson?

Post Thanks / Like

in most cases when fishign for most fish -if its windy fish the banks with wind blowing in on them. They will always be better than the "flat" bank

Post Thanks / Like

He's not learning lessons, he is making fish habitat....
    I don't mind wind, I've learned to troll very well from my little 'yak, but today! Grrr first one way the another, the still, then gust from a new direction. Front coming through, caught one miniscule little bass. He did do a pretty dance, told him to practice and come back in about 6 or 7 lbs.
    At least the power came back on.
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast