Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor problem

I have a 50 thrust pound MinnKota, foot control. This particular model has 5 speeds. On 1st, 2nd, 4th,and 5th work great. I have intermittent 3rd speed most of the time. And the only time when it does not work is when I'm on the lake, this is weird. The on and off switch...the one a person uses to power the motor, works fine. Now for lack of not knowing what the varible speed switch is called, but it acts like a drum switch. I took it apart and could not visibly see anything wrong with it. The contacts in it has the appearance of being clean and free of debree, or no features of having pitted contacts. I took the cover off the head of the trolling motor, there was nothing there but a junction so to speak, where the wires come together and go to the brush rigging of the motor. I saw no electronics there, unless of course they are in the stator housing. Has anybody had this problem before? I was thinking that maybe the plastic has worn some in the switch, when you rotate the switch to 3rd speed, it does not make that particular contact make. As good as it should. Thanks for any help, Rusty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    I have a 50 thrust pound MinnKota, foot control. This particular model has 5 speeds. On 1st, 2nd, 4th,and 5th work great. I have intermittent 3rd speed most of the time. And the only time when it does not work is when I'm on the lake, this is weird. The on and off switch...the one a person uses to power the motor, works fine. Now for lack of not knowing what the varible speed switch is called, but it acts like a drum switch. I took it apart and could not visibly see anything wrong with it. The contacts in it has the appearance of being clean and free of debree, or no features of having pitted contacts. I took the cover off the head of the trolling motor, there was nothing there but a junction so to speak, where the wires come together and go to the brush rigging of the motor. I saw no electronics there, unless of course they are in the stator housing. Has anybody had this problem before? I was thinking that maybe the plastic has worn some in the switch, when you rotate the switch to 3rd speed, it does not make that particular contact make. As good as it should. Thanks for any help, Rusty

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a broken wire at the solder connection. Just looking at it, it appeared OK, but when you rocked the pedal to turn, it would loose connection. Check them all by slightly tugging on the wire with a pair of needle nose pliers. Good luck.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va