Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live well timer?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Live well timer?

I installed a live well timer and have been trying to think (thats dangerous for me) of any occasion where I would need it on constantly. This one is adjustable for 30 sec on and anywhere from 5 sec to 5½ min off. Do I need it to stay on constantly for any reason other than scuttling the boat?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If your live well has a bunch of fish in it you'll want to keep it running longer. If you want your fish alive and fresh.
    There's only been a few times I used mine constantly. That's when it was super hot out and the fish would just about cook without fresh water or ice on them.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

When you look in and see fish bellies, turn it on until you see their backs again, then turn it off

Actually, Mike hit the nail on the head. More fish, more on-time, less off time.

Post Thanks / Like

Set your timer according to water temp. In the cooler months you can get by with less aeration than the warmer months. Does your system draw water from the lake or does it recirculate within the livewell??? It's best to have both options, and that requires two pumps. When you're sitting still you want to be drawing water from the lake, but when you are running the boat, you would use the recirculate mode. If you try to draw water from the lake while on plane you take a good chance of burning up your pump. At least that's how all of the boats I've owned have operated. Hope this helps.
    on the road again...just can't wait to get back to...TOLEDO BEND

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how and when to use it, I just want to be sure I'm not forgeting anything where I might need it on all the time. I can set the timer as low as 5 sec off and 30 sec on.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy you a power bubbles and put in it. I have one and it works great. I would not go to the lake without it. Between that and your fresh water on the fish I don't think you will have a problem. I have let my power bubbles run for about three days straight and it didn't even hurt the crankin battery. Started right up when I went to the lake. I am getting ready to buy one more for my big boat and one for my little 14 foot jon. Not to xpensive and worth every penny.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I've had that timer that stays on for 90 sec. then off every 4-5 minutes for a couple of years now. I cut a hole in the livewell for overflow & put an aerator head on it. I've always kept it on 6 minutes between "spurts". I've not had a lot of trouble out of it that way, but haven't had the livewell just "full" of fish either. but, i've not had any trouble with fish dying. my drain hole is in the bottom. during the winter, when water temps are 50-60, i don't even use it. I think the key in the summer is some insulation on the lid, so that heat doesn't beat down if you have a metal lid. just 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is simular to Randy's. When I first turn it on, I let it run long enough on manual to fill the well. Then I switch it to the timer and forget about it. I don't have a problem with fish or minnows dying any time of the year unless I have 50 or 60 bream in it.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Where can you purchase a livewell timer? That is just what I need.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the one I used. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

I had one of these on the bow of my last boat. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast