Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Spawn Blues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Post Spawn Blues

Every year I find myself struggling after the spawn. It is very hard for me to catch very many for 2-3 weeks. When I go it is just one here and one there, no pattern, very scattered, different structure, different depths, etc...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I live in Missouri where lakes abound and the crappie fishing is great all year except this time small window of time.

Thanks,

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blues

Spider rig in deeper water over ledges and stumps, tightline over ledges and stumps, flatline over ledges and stumps while listening to B.B.King singing the blues. :D
    And that won't work, nightstalk.

spider rig man

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that the crappie roam the lake feeding on shad after the spawn. Very similar to schooling bass.They will be on structure one day and gone the next. Eventually they will return to their summer locations and the bite will be reliable again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Couple ?'s about spider rigging.

What length rods do you suggest?
    What degree rod holders?
    Live bait vs Jigs?
    How do you fix your rigging? One or two baits, where is your weight?
    What size weight do you use?
    What is the best way to locate ledges?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You'll get all kinds of different answers to your question from members on the site. I was taught by on OLD man on Ky lake (a.k.a. Richard Williams) lol! Didn't know the first thing about spider rigging till I went on a fishing trip with him. I learned alot from him about the technique and what kinds of structure to look for. I use tite lok rod holders, but there are several other good brands to choose from. I mostly fish with 10ft rods and use a jig tipped with a minnow. I use a size 2 split shot along with a jig head and skirt unless it's real windy. If it's windy I usually rig an egg sinker of varying weight on the line with my jig. Check out the Capps and Coleman rig. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. How effective is this technique? How long does it take to become efficient doing it? I read a lot about it, know it is popular.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that it's very effective for crappie, especially if they are scattered. You can google search spider rigging and read quite a bit about it. Check out the posts of everyone displaying their boats, and you can get a good idea of how to set your boat up. It took me a while to get everything that I needed. I just got a few rods to start with, then asked for rod holders for Christmas present. Two years later, I'm now set up with pretty much everything I need. You can also find several guys here who make their own rod-holders so it won't set you back as much to begin with. Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shockley32
    Thanks for the info. How effective is this technique? How long does it take to become efficient doing it? I read a lot about it, know it is popular.
    I would say very effective. I just started spider rigging less than a year ago and I have already caught a lot more crappie than I normally do. The advantage is that you get to cover a lot of water. I use to just motor from point A to B and fish, then motor off to point C and fish, and so on. What first surprised me when I started spider rigging was how much I learned about the bottom of my lake. I found lots of structure that I had never noticed before since I was always motoring over it too fast to notice. It's really helped me to learn the lake. I like to use 6 rods (2 @ 10' and 4 @ 12') and move around .6-.8mph. With 8 or more rods it just got too crazy. I'm also using the Capps & Coleman rig usually with a jig on top and minnow on bottom. I started out on a lake that had a lot, and I mean a lot of structure. (mostly fall downs) I was hanging up a lot and getting frustrated, I then moved to a different lake that didn't have nearly as much structure and have had some of my best crappie days in a long time. Just recently I got a 14.5" and 14" crappie that were isolated and I only found them because I kept moving around. I'm a believer and recommend spider rigging.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!!! Need Back Up!!!!

Some of my Magnolia State counterparts are going at it in a thread right now that started about a size and creel limit change (rumor) on the Mississippi reservoirs, and it's turned into a 48-post (and growing) thread about jiggin' vs. trolling Can't honestly say you'll learn much about spider rigging, but the fussin' match is getting good:D :D :D

I thought about tootin' my horn on there, but I'm scared I'd sling a rod:D

I love'm both.......jigging and spider rigging. I call it "switch-hitting". They both have their time and place. I love to feel on snatchin' on that jig, but I also love seeing those trolling pole tips taking a dive!!! If you get on them just right, sometimes it'll work your butt off just getting fish off, and keeping hooks in the water!!!

Honestly though, you can learn a good bit of stuff on these forums, but the fussin' crap about my way of fishing vs. your way of fishing ain't my thang
    Last edited by luvjign; 05-16-2007 at 10:01 PM.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I love the response, you can really learn a lot of this message board.

Hey luvjign, I read all the post on the Mississippi, I knew fisherman were serious, but man are these guys ever passionate!!!! I don't have all the answers, may claim to from time to time!!! If there is a problem with the big 4 being over fished then they just need to lower the limit. We have a 15 fish daily limit in MO, it works out great. Consider 15 fish = 30 fillets. Take your wife, kid, ect and get 60 fillets. That is plenty of fish for a meal or many meals. Does it really matter how they are caught? Does it matter if it only takes one hour or ten? As long as they only keep their limit.

I know there will be some who will catch two, three or four limits in a day. That's just unsportsman like, they need to be beat with a green carp! Most crappie fisherman are very respectful of the laws/regulations. I, as a sportsman, don't always agree with every law, however I do and will follow ALL laws. I know the bottom line is to protect and improve the very thing I enjoy. Bring on great conservation practices!!!! If they don't like they can give it up and do something else, leave more crappie for the rest of us!

Thanks guys,

Brad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast