Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Back from Toledo Bend (report)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back from Toledo Bend (report)

Absolutely struck out Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday..we fished am and pm Sunday. Monday am struck out as well..Locals kept telling me that the rain earlier in the week put too much fresh water in the lake. Tried 191 bridge, 1215 bridge and local brushpiles.

Monday pm, fish started to turn on, we caught 12 that afternoon and hit them hard Tuesday morning for 34. Most were good sized, didn't keep them all, though. Females were loaded with eggs..looks like possible early spawn with continued warm temps.

We fished Lanana bay area exclusively, fishing in 20-25 feet about two to three reel turns from bottom. Tried shallower...no go, got to fish near the bottom, tight lining. We used shiners, tried different jigsw/nibbles, but no luck there.

The bite turned on after a 2 inch rain most of the day Monday..water was pretty muddied up, but seems like the warmer weather did the trick. That's about it, hated to leave them biting, but had to get back to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Default rickinla

Quote Originally Posted by rickinla
    Absolutely struck out Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday..we fished am and pm Sunday. Monday am struck out as well..Locals kept telling me that the rain earlier in the week put too much fresh water in the lake. Tried 191 bridge, 1215 bridge and local brushpiles.

Monday pm, fish started to turn on, we caught 12 that afternoon and hit them hard Tuesday morning for 34. Most were good sized, didn't keep them all, though. Females were loaded with eggs..looks like possible early spawn with continued warm temps.

We fished Lanana bay area exclusively, fishing in 20-25 feet about two to three reel turns from bottom. Tried shallower...no go, got to fish near the bottom, tight lining. We used shiners, tried different jigsw/nibbles, but no luck there.

The bite turned on after a 2 inch rain most of the day Monday..water was pretty muddied up, but seems like the warmer weather did the trick. That's about it, hated to leave them biting, but had to get back to work.

Those crappie can be evasive when they want to. Thanks for the report, even though it was a slow bite you still got onto them in the end. Don't know about everyone else, but I''m ready for some stable weather and warm temps, (stable weather and LA aren't usually mentioned in the same sentence :D ) this whole "winter" season was weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Those crappie can be evasive when they want to. Thanks for the report, even though it was a slow bite you still got onto them in the end. Don't know about everyone else, but I''m ready for some stable weather and warm temps, (stable weather and LA aren't usually mentioned in the same sentence :D ) this whole "winter" season was weird.

You definitely got it right for La. weather. As the old saying goes around here - if you don't like the weather stick around for a few days and it will change. Looks like we are in for more rain thru the weekend. I've got a crappie tournament this weekend and the weather don't look good. Well, quess we can't have it the way we want it all the time. Some friends have been on the water this week and the bite is good from daylight to about 10:00 AM and slow after that. With all the rain we've had this week the water temps I think will stay down and be a little more murky to stained. Anyone else had any reports on colors or depths they are catching fish in so far this week?

Post Thanks / Like

I fished yesterday on LaFouche and got 13. All were deep for here..like 10 foot in 14 foot deep water. Caught all on Orange/Green jig with char nibbles. Mostly small fish with a couple at 12-13 inches. I usually catch them at 7 foot..so really unusual for them to be this deep.

Can't wait for a week of warm weather...the spawns gonna be fun
    " I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more war. " Abbie Hoffman

swethey Guest

hey, where in the heck is the chicken coop?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickinla

Post Thanks / Like

You can find gps coordinates for the chicken coop and other spots at toledo-bend.com-they have coordinates for quite a few spots at toledo bend.

Post Thanks / Like

The chicken coop is north of the pendelton bridge. It is a deep water area that holds large concentrations of bait fish around this time of year. The crappie stack-up gorging themselves on the available food before moving into their spawning areas. This is an annual event and many people plan vacations around this.
    I think the most fun is that you are catching them deep making the fight last longer and when you locate feeding fish the bite can be exciting.
    I visited a TB web site that gave alot of coordinates for fishing areas on the lake. The chicken coop was one of these.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.