Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Chomping at the bits

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Chomping at the bits

:D Having just discovered the thrill of crappie fishing last fall almost by accident, i have watched the weather like a hawk lol. the mine in behind my house froze over twice during the winter but the lake is fine and healthy. i went out on the boat two days ago and even as cool as the water still is , i caught 5 13" crappie and a huge bunch of 8 to 11 inch bass. being new to all this (will be my first spring ) i am all ways open to tips and advice. Santa was quite nice to me this year with a new rod and reel from bass pro and two 400 piece crappie jig kits one tube jigs and the other with grub worms and twist tails. I did get in one nice day in Jan. and two fun days during Feb so far ( it's so cool to have a great crappie hole in a 5 min walk from the house) So if you guys that have been doing this for years can impart some of all that great wisdom you have gained over the years for us rookies i promise not to use it to take all the fish LOL Really i need all the help i can get as i just learned how to tie a improved cinch knot i been reading alot this winter but would like to hear from the guys how really know. i do plan on getting a permit to the peabody WMA this year and exploering the 3,000 acres of mines there as money is a major issue right now i can't do alot of long trips to KY lake , but being so close to the ohoi and green rivers and having so many old stripmines and the like i don't see why i can't find so great fishing close to home

Hope everyone has a great spring
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gone fishin', be back for deer season :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation having to assume ...

that you'll be fishing that fine looking "mine" from the shore .... therefore, having to cast to the blowdown trees and that rockpile(?) or grassbed(?) in the picture - I suggest you get yourself some "weedless" jigheads !! There are several different ones on the market ... but here's two of my favorites.

If you want a jighead with a light wire loop that slips under the point of the hook - in 1/16oz size only - Oldham's Sure-lock Weedless Crappie Jigheads are the ticket. If your local stores don't carry them .... you can order them by phone or mail. Ph# : 1-800-596-2436 or write to:
    Terry Oldham
    Oldham's Jigs
    100 University Rd
    Wimberley, Tx 78676-5735
    Be sure to specify the "Sure-lock" style head, as he makes two different style Crappie jigheads, and the "Sure-lock" is the one you want for tubes and grubs.

If you prefer a "brush" style (multi-strand fiber) weed guard .... and/or want different weights, different hook sizes, painted heads, or unpainted heads - then contact: Paul Mullins of P&S Custom Tackle ... email address is: [email protected] .... his Ph# is 606-642-6167

In either case, I'd appreciate it if you would tell these guys that Crappiepappy from Crappie.com sent you. They are Sponsors of the Crappie Tournaments that I help put on, and donate their products to be given away as prizes ... the feedback and new customers helps keep them as Sponsors. Thanks, and .......luck2ya ..........cp