Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Center console on Jon boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Center console on Jon boat

Recently I purchased a used 18' by 6' wide jon boat. It is just the bare bones and I wanted to know if any of you use a center console steering system. I've looked on the net but didn't find any plans or for that matter any for sale other than expensive ones for saltwater boats.

If anyone has any info that might help I would be grateful. Or if anyone has one for sale that would be great too. Any help would be appreciated.

Josh

Post Thanks / Like

think you could build your own??
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

If I had the time maybe, but I own my own buisness and you know how that goes.

Josh

Post Thanks / Like

AKMcKallum inFayettville NC. was the only place i could find. they have several to choose from and can by them with or without steering wheel. i will post the link later.c-rex

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jon Boat Console

heres the link: HTH

http://www.akmccallumco.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned 6 center console boats in the past, all were used in saltwater. The benefit is runnin open water (usually choppy and or rough) while standing up. Your legs take the abuse rather than your butt and back. Keep in mind with a center cosole, you will forever be walkin AROUND it to get from front to back, etc.
    If you think that is what you need, you might check a Carolina Skiff dealer. I once "put together" a 16' model from them. Bought the bare hull, front deck, rear deck, center console, installed flush mount compartments for livewell and battery access. It was a fun project and turned out well as I put it together to my preferences. They are fiberglass, so you might get a few strange looks with a fiberglass console on an aluminum boat. BUT.......... fiberglass is a bit easier and more forgiving to cut and drill than aluminum as far as mounting guages, switches, depthfinders, etc.
    I say get a side console and enjoy that open floor space !!
    on the road again...just can't wait to get back to...TOLEDO BEND

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm very aware that I will be walking around it all the time. But thats the point. I run the river alot and when I run my lines I need all the room I can get on both sides of the boat.

Thanks for the link, thats exactly what I wanted. I really need to learn how to weld aluminum. Would help a lot when I go to build the front deck. Thanks for the responses.

Josh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jagerace
    Yeah, I'm very aware that I will be walking around it all the time. But thats the point. I run the river alot and when I run my lines I need all the room I can get on both sides of the boat.

Thanks for the link, thats exactly what I wanted. I really need to learn how to weld aluminum. Would help a lot when I go to build the front deck. Thanks for the responses.

Josh
    Now that I know what kind of fishin yer doin, I agree on the center console. Great setup for runnin lines. Sorry for ramblin on earlier.
    on the road again...just can't wait to get back to...TOLEDO BEND